Front Porch Pic & Cam replacement

PoeNoPoe

n3wb
Reaction score
front door.jpg
I'd love some opinions. Building a house and will leave my existing front porch DH-IPC-HDBW4231F-AS_Mini Dome behind. My old porch was sheltered and I had no issues with a dome. You can see new porch is also covered, front door faces east and Cat 6 cable is on left wall on left side of pic.

Thoughts
1) I think dome looks a bit better on porch than the turrets (I'll be using IPC-HDW5442T-ZE turrets around house) but I'm not against the idea of turrets
2) Camera will be pointing toward lower right corner of photo but not all cams seem to accommodate a vertical wall mount (I use blue iris and my existing dome seems fine)
3) I like the 4mp cams as long as sensor size is sufficient.

Any suggestions?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
View attachment 115341
I'd love some opinions. Building a house and will leave my existing front porch DH-IPC-HDBW4231F-AS_Mini Dome behind. My old porch was sheltered and I had no issues with a dome. You can see new porch is also covered, front door faces east and Cat 6 cable is on left wall on left side of pic.

Thoughts
1) I think dome looks a bit better on porch than the turrets (I'll be using IPC-HDW5442T-ZE turrets around house) but I'm not against the idea of turrets
2) Camera will be pointing toward lower right corner of photo but not all cams seem to accommodate a vertical wall mount (I use blue iris and my existing dome seems fine)
3) I like the 4mp cams as long as sensor size is sufficient.

Any suggestions?

Hi @PoeNoPoe

I'd try to setup the following

1x camera facelevel next to the doorbell .. ( F ) .. 2.8mm mini-dome wedge is my preferred model at the moment here ...
1x camera opposite and just above to door to catch the package drop zone .. (P) .. and have another chance at a facial ID image capture if someone turns away from the facelevel camera ..

Attachments

Last edited:

PoeNoPoe

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks, I like my current wedge. Quite a bit had changed since my first order with Andy. I keep wanting to tweak my layouts or try new things :D
Think I got the wife convinced the 49225 ptz isnt too big and would be a nice addition to the new house (not for the porch). Certainly watching video of kids breaking into neighbors cars but avoiding our driveway because they can see the cams has convinced her the hobby is worthwhile.

steve457

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What mini dome model do you recommend? I have some old Hikvision mini-dome cameras currently at eye level and above my door, but would like to replace them with newer/better options (ideally with package detection, etc). I also have the 5442 elsewhere on my property, but would prefer a smaller camera right at eye level at the front door.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
There's always the "boobie cam." Similar to your mini-dome but with two views from one mount about the same size.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
I have the older 2MP one doing front door duty. It's not bad. The later version seems improved quite a bit. My biggest complaint with it, which I don't think has changed a lot with the new, is that the IR isn't all that great. But good enough for where it is and I think good enough for where yours would be. My view looks out into the yard and I had a much larger Hikvision Darkfighter up before that gave me a much longer/brighter view so my point for comparison is skewed remembering what that looked like. The cam installation itself looks much better now than a big bullet hanging there and it works fine as a door cam. About the same as the mini-wedge.

PoeNoPoe

n3wb
Reaction score
Do you boobie cam folks use the extra view to watch for packages, and will blue iris treat it like 2 cams? Think I've already wired for 11 cams and already wishing I could justify 2 or 3 more. Would love to have at least 1 thermal and maybe a 2nd ptz.

I also considered the SD1A404XB-GNR 4M 4x Starlight IR WizSense Network PTZ Camera. Looks like a small dome but not a wedge. PTZ could be used to check on packages, zoom if needed. Dont love pairing a 4Mp with 1/2.8" sensor as its low light performance would be worse than my 2mp wedge...but I leave my porch light on at night now...so does that offset the sensor size enough to make it worth considering?

Last edited: