Front porch camera recommendation needed

JohnnyBeGood

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi all,

Recently some of our got stolen from our front porch and I want by a camera that I'm planning to mount just above front door.
For me main area that needs to be covered is 8FTx10FT and camera will be about 10FT high.

I already have one DS-2CD2032-I and I ran CAT5 cable to my POE switch.
Can someone please recommend camera da will cover above area well?

Here's how porch looks like if it helps.

Attachments

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
You may need couple cams. I use mini dome for porch cam with 2.8mm lens, but while it's covering the porch area I am not able to see who is approaching the door. Also if mounted too high you may only get partial face recognition. In my case I am planning to mount ptz camera 25 feet to the side and permanently zoom on the porch. This way camera is out the view and I get the full coverage I need.

JohnnyBeGood

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You may need couple cams. I use mini dome for porch cam with 2.8mm lens, but while it's covering the porch area I am not able to see who is approaching the door. Also if mounted too high you may only get partial face recognition. In my case I am planning to mount ptz camera 25 feet to the side and permanently zoom on the porch. This way camera is out the view and I get the full coverage I need.
Thanks for the reply!

I already have one that covers my D-way but I need something that will cover above area.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
In that case any 2.8mm will do. Turret is the way to go though, if you don't need microphone or wireless.

JohnnyBeGood

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
In that case any 2.8mm will do. Turret is the way to go though, if you don't need microphone or wireless.
Ok, I think dome shape will look better. Since I'm running CAT5 it would be nice to have a microphone but at 8FT tall that will not work?

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
I have all three mini dome, larger dome and turret. Mini dome is the only one with built-in microphone, it is muffled but works, I am not sure how well it will work at 8 ft. Frankly, I can't stand domes. The leds will eventually burn out like it did in my mini dome after 1.5 years and depending on the placement you may get IR reflection when mounting under the eaves. When I got larger dome I couldn't mount it successfully without IR reflection, so I ended up getting an extended arm.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
DS-2CD2142FWD-IS (F-IS is only for 2132 or Chinese xxx5 models) but 2.8mm

DS-2CD2542FWD-IS 2.8mm would be my personal choice. Small and discreet, you can mount it lower. And it has a built-in mic.

JohnnyBeGood

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys!

So far suggested models are:
DS-2CD2142F-IS $108
DS-2CD2142FWD-IS $140
DS-2CD2542FWD-IS $159
DS-2CD2532F-IS $125

I've tried to find reviews online but didn't had any luck. Does more expensive model means ie. better video quality at night? I'm really lost
:sad2:

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score

So far suggested models are:
DS-2CD2142F-IS $108
DS-2CD2142FWD-IS $140
DS-2CD2542FWD-IS $159
DS-2CD2532F-IS $125

I've tried to find reviews online but didn't had any luck. Does more expensive model means ie. better video quality at night? I'm really lost
:sad2:
not necessarily, mini dome is more $$, but video quality is worse at night.

Michelin Man

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Price doesn't mean everything, it could be more expensive for a variety of reasons.

However, the mini dome when tested by NetworkCameraCritic, he did say the night vision was better for some reason. He could see the other side of the street better.

The inbuilt IR leds though are crap, that is expected as there are only 10 leds compared to 30.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The inbuilt IR leds on that model are rubbish, but it's the best one for a porch: DS-2CD2542FWD-IS

http://www.networkcameracritic.com/?p=2158

JohnnyBeGood

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

Based on the similar review NetworkCameraCritic I will go with DS-2CD2542FWD-IS

dannieboiz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I don't have an issue with my 2532 mini dome since my porch light stay on all night. Depending on how high you're mounting it, I'd definitely recommend a 2.8mm over a 4mm for the porch. After all, you're only concern of the proximity of the porch, you're not trying to see what the guy is doing at the street so strong IR probably shouldn't be your convern. Should look good and be good enough to see 10ft from the door

If you scroll down my post you'll see a photo of the 2532 mounted at my porch.
http://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/5784-Here-s-a-solid-solution-an-intercom-setup-using-2532-built-in-mic

Below text alert received when DHL dropped off more goodies from Aliexpress this afternoon.

Attachments

JohnnyBeGood

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply and including picture/lens size it really helps!

In my case I can't mount it above front door due to the height. And you're right I don't need to see who's down on the street but need to see who comes to my front porch. When they stole stuff from my front porch my D-way camera caught but nothing close to see the face.
Most likely I will mount it somewhere near the light just like you did it.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
I had my mini dome mounted like the picture above, but did not like the placement due to being it "in your face" and I did not see the full view in front of the door where the packages are placed. With my new PTZ, I am experimenting in this setup where cam is 30 feet away. Night vision is not a problem because the IRs are very powerful. There is only one spot where the face would be in the full view for identification, but there is also a second camera in front of garage that will cover the area.

There are no light sources here, just IR power about 30 feet away

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply and including picture/lens size it really helps!

In my case I can't mount it above front door due to the height. And you're right I don't need to see who's down on the street but need to see who comes to my front porch. When they stole stuff from my front porch my D-way camera caught but nothing close to see the face.
Most likely I will mount it somewhere near the light just like you did it.
2542 is better lower down (near door bell level). People do wear caps to avoid face being recognised.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply!

I think this thread is out dated because it lists DS-2CD2542FWD-IS as no built in mic?
But on the official site "-S: Built-in microphone, Audio Output, Alarm IO"
Am I correct?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Yes it has mic, but no speaker

Fruit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I think you have to splice/hook up your own Speaker for the audio-out, then use either web interface with a pc mic or the phone app to talk to it.