Front Door Camera Placement Question

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the information @megazone23.

**Warning: All pictures were taken as screenshots from the substream on my phone app - more concerned here about angle than picture quality.

View attachment 61298

My original thinking was that this camera could catch some side walk traffic during the day, but even the 7 ft view to the side walk is pretty bad (of course this is night, my neighbors large tree blocks the street lamp lighting):

And a color one just because:
View attachment 61301

Thanks for your feedback!
craywm
Good work craywm

Lower definitely better.

If possible the light should be out of the FOV as it will change the light balance of the image ( i.e. the darker areas will be more dark as the camera attempt to have a balance ).

Try to test without the light turned on and see what a difference that makes.
Try adding something to block the light coming out of the light fixture directly into the camera ( I' just put some foil on the 2 light fixture glass planes for now to test.. again just to test how the camera reacts )

craywm

n3wb
Reaction score
Front door ID camera IPC-HDBW4231F MiniWedge
5-6ft on the left of door, as close to the edge of the brick as possible.
Don't try to do too much with one cam, this cam is for faces and packages at door.
If you want sidewalk caps, then you need an additional camera.
Use 2.8mm lens version.
View attachment 61414
Thanks @looney2ns! I’m coming to that conclusion regarding doing too much. I’ll post some additional pics of positions tonight.

I think I found a good location to mount the bullet version to get front approach and part of driveway as well, to compliment the other driveway cam (haven’t decided on that one yet).

craywm

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I tested out two additional positions, the first I think is a good angle for front coverage of the driveway and front approach. But Is just happens to be under a gutter drain. I would probably use a 3.6mm bullet style camera to get the lens out in front of the gutter drain to increase the FOV (the large evergreen tree will be removed from the front which will improve the FOV to the front of the house). Here are some pictures of the angle (I played with the display settings a bit, but the sun was hitting the lens and I feel that it was a poor adjustment for other light settings:
IMG_8963.JPGIMG_8956.PNG

Played with the picture a little more with the same mounting:

I would probably turn the camera a bit further to increase the FOV (3.6mm lens plus a little turn will reduce the FOV). The wedge cam at FR door will catch the approach from around 10FT out up to door. I played around with the wall mount a bit, but decided to mount higher to simulate a bullet off the soffit:
IMG_8969.JPGIMG_8967.PNG

You can see the gutter I want to get in front of here. Anyone else had other issues with water/mic or spider webs near gutter drains?

The second location was just in front of the porch on the left side. I do not like this location due to angle, but I can get approach and front door overview. You can see my helper in this photo:
IMG_8972.JPGIMG_8977.PNG

I also played with the first location a bit more. Here are some pics of me and my helper (He's drilling holes in my flower bed):

IMG_8984.PNG

I'm thinking if I can install a wedge on the right side of the door, I'll be able to see the package drop area, make an approach ID, and also get approach from the first position I mentioned in this post. What are your guys thoughts?

Thank you,
craywm

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My 2 cents, right side of the porch is better, covers more important area. Part of drive and walk. You don't want the gutter in view, that will cause IR bounce back and mess with the exposure at night.
Stick with the left side of the door for the face capture. The person will tend to stand on the side of the door handle and door bell button.
I commend you for taking the time properly testing locations.
Be sure to test each location while recording and test for min of 24hrs in each location. Then review footage. Don't rush it. ;)

craywm

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks @looney2ns. I was planning to use a 3.6mm IPC-HFW5442T-ASE-NI bullet cam from Andy. Are you still using these on your front area? I figured the bullet would help the lens extend out beyond the gutter. I wanted to see if you’ve been using these still or switched over to the turret style.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Everything I use are turrets. Except one boobie cam.
Can you move that cam 6'' to the left to get the downspout out of view?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks @looney2ns. I was planning to use a 3.6mm IPC-HFW5442T-ASE-NI bullet cam from Andy. Are you still using these on your front area? I figured the bullet would help the lens extend out beyond the gutter. I wanted to see if you’ve been using these still or switched over to the turret style.
HI @craywm

I have a combination of
turrets
bullets
mini-dome wedge ( at face level by the front door )

I try to keep the turrets in locations which are more likely to get messed with.

The main reason for the bulllet is unable to get a turret version with that zoom level - or just got a super deal on a bullet model.

craywm

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks @mat200 and @looney2ns. Here is a picture of the other side of the gutter under soffit. I guess with the 3.6mm, the FOV may clear the downspout. I might be able to make it work.

Also starting to think about in front of the garage cams. I wanted to mount up under soffit on each side, but the soffit is a little too high (10’). I was going to mount one on the left side (3.6mm), but the front porch angle above will likely cover most of the other side of garage and front entrance (small lot). Do you guys think I could get away with just the cam on the left side? I plan to test the locations soon, but I know there would be a small blind spot on the right side of the garage.

Attachments

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks for the information @megazone23.

**Warning: All pictures were taken as screenshots from the substream on my phone app - more concerned here about angle than picture quality.

Last night I was able to make a test cable to test the original location I had considered installing my 5442T. The lower height is 7 ft, and the upper height is around 7.75ft:
View attachment 61294View attachment 61296

Here are color views with lights on from both heights (All camera setting default - 8ft lens may have been dirty):
View attachment 61297View attachment 61298

My original thinking was that this camera could catch some side walk traffic during the day, but even the 7 ft view to the side walk is pretty bad (of course this is night, my neighbors large tree blocks the street lamp lighting):

View attachment 61299View attachment 61300

And a color one just because:
View attachment 61301

Since this is my first camera, I'm relying on the forums feedback for positioning/use case (this will also give me good insight into positioning in other locations as well).

Personally, I like that the lower mounting gives me a better view to the approach, but due to lighting conditions, I will still probably need a camera solely to catch the sidewalk (especially at night)

Like I said earlier, this camera was originally supposed to go at my front door (its a 2.8mm), but I'm thinking it would serve its purpose better in another location, and the front door maybe easily covered with a mini-dome (or a very similar FOV as above with a dual mini dome).

My options are:
1) Use this camera at 7 FT (Above)
2) Use this cam at 7 ft with a doorbell cam
3) Use wedge cam in this location and move the T5442 solely to Front approach (under porch soffit).

What do you guys think after seeing the test setup:
View attachment 61303View attachment 61302

Thanks for your feedback!
craywm
I use the reflective aluminum tape inside the light fixture to block the light going towards my camera.
Depending on how far the light is from the camera as to how big the tape will need to be.
I also found out going to LED bulbs you can use a smaller piece.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks @mat200 and @looney2ns. Here is a picture of the other side of the gutter under soffit. I guess with the 3.6mm, the FOV may clear the downspout. I might be able to make it work.

Also starting to think about in front of the garage cams. I wanted to mount up under soffit on each side, but the soffit is a little too high (10’). I was going to mount one on the left side (3.6mm), but the front porch angle above will likely cover most of the other side of garage and front entrance (small lot). Do you guys think I could get away with just the cam on the left side? I plan to test the locations soon, but I know there would be a small blind spot on the right side of the garage.
I would try 2 cameras about aligned with the lights, between the light fixture and the garage door - FOV crossing so that no matter which way a suspect turns to try and open a door you have a chance to get a facial image.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Soffit is entirely too high.
See blue spots. Easy to drill through the mortar, and into the garage.
Inked291F1C18-FFCD-4DC9-8F1F-944575814946_LI.jpg InkedF8D5A600-4CB4-4A10-8D5D-12512B06B2A2_LI.jpg

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Soffit is entirely too high.
See blue spots. Easy to drill through the mortar, and into the garage.
View attachment 61548 View attachment 61549
Use a stud finder on the garage side and also a magnet to get an idea of what could be behind the dry wall on the garage side.

Don't be too shy to remove a little drywall to assist, easy enough to patch in the garage without too many WAF issues.

craywm

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks all for your input!

I went ahead and ordered a 3.6mm version of the turret 5442T Cam to test locations further.

One question for you guys: Do you find that 3.6mm or 2.8mm is usually better for garage sides? Initially, I was thinking 3.6mm, but it would seem like you'd want to catch larger fov. I plan to test both, but wanted to see what you guys use.

Thanks,
Craywm

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You need to see the IPVM lens calculator in the Cliff Notes.
2.8mm is mostly worthless outdoors, except at the front door.
You want to know who did it, not just what happened, this get harder after dark.
If you don't purchase a varifocal version, a 6mm lens would be best choice.

Reaction score
If you don't purchase a varifocal version, a 6mm lens would be best choice.
As Looney states, the 6mm would be best, depending on how far away the area of interest is. On my garage, I have two varifocal cameras in a crossing pattern. I park my Jeep there and they are positioned to get looks at door checkers.

One is set at about 7mm and the other is set at about 12mm.

craywm

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks @looney2ns and @samplenhold. I never even considered using a 6mm. I have a short drive way (the lot is very small, just over 1/8 of an acre).
I used the IPVM calculator before, but its not great in my situation (besides the generated face shot at different distances). For the most part, I get good ID from the sidewalk up to my garage with a 3.6mm. I also get a larger FOV, and I live on a main artery of my HOA entrance with a lot of foot traffic and vehicle traffic.
My assumption was that using the 3.6mm would give me good ID (albeit on my side of the main road) from sidewalk up to entrance, and allow me to see a little bit of vehicle traffic on both sides of the house.

We have issues with speeding around our "loop". Since it is a main artery, and there is only a pond across from my house, drivers tend to "speed" around the "willman speedway" on their way home. They actually just painted yellow lines on the road because people tend to drive too fast and on the wrong side around the curves, and park in non-parking areas..
We also have had our fair share of robbery in the morning, people casing a house in the morning, and blending in as a general contract company during the day to loot the place after the residents leave. We also get the occasional door checker (last year, my ATF agent neighbor caught one on his cams and the kid went running - lucky him). I dont park any vehicles in my driveway regularly though so I'm not as concerned about vehicle door checkers.

Here is my shot from the IPVM Calculator using a 3.6mm at the front door approach, and both sides of garage (sidewalk around 35 ft from garage cams):
1589507575706.png

This is with 3.6mm at front entrance, and 6mm at both garage sides:
1589507503317.png

I can see how moving to 6mm may help significantly identify at a distance, but would I be creating too many blind spots? Also, the reduction of FOV to road would be large (albeit with higher detail maybe where it matters - in front of my house) - would this be a good tradeoff?

I have two other locations I can use a 2.8mm and 3.6mm so I'm okay buying 2-6mm's If i need to.

Thanks for your help guys,
craywm

Attachments