Freedom flying by house

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
A Chinook flew by my house yesterday and although I didn't see it, it sounded like a Chinook. Two more flew by today and was able to capture it on the SD49225XA-HNR.
From 1970 to 1972 I participated in a couple of dozen or so unreps (Underway Replenishments) on the U.S.S. Hancock CVA-19, an aircraft carrier in the Tonkin Gulf. Many times my station was on the flight deck as the CH-47 Chinook's close cousin, the CH-46 Sea Knight, was ferrying over from a supply/ordinance ship pallets of 500 lb. bombs and other ordinance suspended by a long, thick sling. Standing under it as it descended close to the deck with it's heavy load, those blades hitting the air hard to maintain lift and stay aloft with that 10,000 lb. load, was awe inspiring. Although I was wearing ear protection, you could feel the percussion in your head and chest.......needless to say, I was impressed not only with the helo's power and ability but also the pilot's skill. :cool:

Last edited:

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Rode in a shithook once. ( one vibrationy -muthafucka) It took us out of White Sands. Tactical troop extraction exercise. then dropped us off to a C-141 Starlifter near Ft. Bliss and then back to Ft. Puke La. :),