Frames Per Seconds (FPS) cannot get above 12fps.

bignose3

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Have a fairly generic Chinese camera, in UK : SV3C WiFi Security Camera Outdoor Wireless 1080P CCTV IP Camera

BI 5, have 5 other cameras' all quite low DPI & FPS 5-10, pretty fast i7 running at about 25% CPU.

Always kept cameras before in range FPS 5-12 as no needed any more so not demanding of the network

However now doing LPR and think little faster would be good.
Have the above camera settings which I set to 25fps ( but also tried 20 - 33)
2048 kbps tried VBR & CBR.
10MB buffer.

BI always reports it at just over 12fps. 350kbps approx.

In BI video settings if 25fps, again tried all speeds.

All wired direct gigabit, no wifi involved. a PC off same network route I clock at 650Kbps.
The camera ethernet I guess is not gigabit but should still be able to pass 25fps easy straight into GB LAN.

Does BI work out all the cameras & reduce fps if the server pc does not have the bandwidth.

I will do the math but 5 cameras varying 100 to 600 kbps should be fine & the 6th manage high fps

I tested on second stream v. low res. 80kbps & still would not go above 15fps.

Onvif say is can do 25fps but not sure how to test other that what BI is telling me.

Thanks I/A

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Frankly, trying to do LPR with an SV3C won't give good results in the first place. You don't have enough control of critical parameters to do that successfully.. The only way to change the frame rate, and that doesn't actually work because SV3C firmware decides what is appropriate, is in the GUI for the camera. BI can only receive data, not make the camera produce the data.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
In addition to what @sebastiantombs said, FPS isn't the critical parameter for LPR, shutter speed is.

I get plates just fine at 8FPS with a 1/2,000 shutter. Heck I can even get it at 1 or 2 FPS, which makes for a great time lapse video LOL.

And then the ability to set a parameter and the camera honor the manual settings is the next critical component. Too many of the lower end cameras "allow" you to manually set parameters, but the camera firmware will override your settings in favor of a bright image.

I have a cheap camera that I can put in a 1/10,000 shutter and the image should be all black at night without any light, but nope it is a bright static image and motion is a blur to not even picked up because it makes the shutter slower and gain higher to favor a bright image.

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
Switch your camera to a known good camera with the capability to get LPR set up on it.

Once you have it going, switch back to your sv3c camera and you will see right off the bat the difference.
It's like trying to use a Prius to haul an elephant.:banghead:

bignose3

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
HI,

Thanks for all your advice.
I originally got the (cheap) camera really just to see who was at my new electric gates so I could control via App etc. so did not need anything flash.
It is also offset, more to view the people than the plate as my original plan.
Later I realized that I could use BI & LPR to open the gates to be cool, keyfob faster & most I want to allow in have anyway, but actually in use I really like this LPR & want it to be as reliable as possible.

It is almost 100% so the camera is actually working really well, I am using Plate Recogniser & is very impressive.
The reason I was trying to up the FPS is I have to carefully zone, A>B so only cars coming up to the gate are sent for LPR, and the point it crosses is the frame that gets sent.
If car comes fast it gets much nearer the gate before this frame & the plate is much more of an acute angle, LPR is still remarkably accurate but sure will miss a few.
Car coming normal speed frame is dead centre & perfect to read.

The SV3 has shutter 10,000, whether it is really doing this not sure but quite a few settings.
I have brightness really low so at night stops the glare but to be honest not tested that much, works for my car & my driving but had v.few visitors for real world.
During day bit of a dull image but a happy medium for day & night.
The camera does not override this.

I figured fps would have an effect here, the frame BI gets would be fractionally sooner.

Is there some other software I could put the stream into & see FPS. As I type think VLC might, so will load the stream into that.

THanks

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
If you want to know what the FPS rate of the camera is simply click on the graph with the lightning bolt icon on the upper left of the BI console. Then click on the cameras tab. That will display the important statistics of the camera, frame rate, key (iframe) rate, and bit rate for both the main and sub stream if you're using sub streams. BI is simply a receiver of that data and cannot change what the camera sends which means what you see there is what you're actually getting from the camera.