Frame Bottleneck

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
It is unclear to me why that is happening. Is the video playing (slowly) in Blue Iris or is it stuck/frozen?

Try putting 15 in the axis's "Frame rate (fps)" field. Blue Iris has a "Max. rate" field which you should ignore because that is for things like USB webcams where Blue Iris actually could control the frame rate.

Put 15 in the "GOP length" field.

Do that for both the main stream (high res) and the sub stream (low res).

Then for good measure, in Blue Iris, right click that camera instance and "Restart camera".

If that doesn't solve it, try opening those RTSP streams in a 3rd-party video player like VLC to verify that they are streaming at the appropriate frame rate.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, in Blue Iris the FPS/key is a set of two numbers.
First number is the frame rate which Blue Iris has processed. When things are running smoothly, it should be very close to what was set in the camera's web configurator. When things are struggling, it may be lower.
Second number is the keyframes per second, a.k.a. i-frames per second. It should be 1.0 or very close to it when you've got the FPS and GOP set to the same number in the camera's web configurator. If your GOP (i-frame interval) is double the frame rate, this status field should be 0.5.

Zuboloma

n3wb
Reaction score
It is unclear to me why that is happening. Is the video playing (slowly) in Blue Iris or is it stuck/frozen?

Try putting 15 in the axis's "Frame rate (fps)" field. Blue Iris has a "Max. rate" field which you should ignore because that is for things like USB webcams where Blue Iris actually could control the frame rate.

Put 15 in the "GOP length" field.

Do that for both the main stream (high res) and the sub stream (low res).

Then for good measure, in Blue Iris, right click that camera instance and "Restart camera".

If that doesn't solve it, try opening those RTSP streams in a 3rd-party video player like VLC to verify that they are streaming at the appropriate frame rate.
I was able to confirm the VLC sees 30 fps.

Bruce_H

n3wb
Reaction score
Main switch(hp 5406rzl2) - 25 feeds are directly connected to this switch POE
2nd switch (hp 1930) connected to the main using 10gb fiber - 13 feeds connected - most of the cameras with the problem are on this switch

but that switch is sitting at 8% usage and 3% ram.

I don't have them connected to a router or in a VLAN, I could move them to a VLAN if I need to.

settings I'm using in the camera

View attachment 188718View attachment 188720
It is my understanding that you should not be using variable bit rate as is currently shown in your screen captures, not sure what other option the camera has; probably constant!