FPS vs BitRate / Camera settings vs Blue IRIS settings

sudo

n3wb
Reaction score
I Was trying to optimize the image quality on my 5 hikvision DS-2CD2032-I camera's and I've come up with a few questions.

1. Why does BI not keep up with the requested fps? For example if I set BI to 20fps and monitor it through the status window it shows those cameras that I have change to run at an even lower fps.

2. If I increase bit rate through the camera software settings why does fps decrease?

3. What is limiting me from running higher bit rate and fps? What's the best way to determine this?

The image quality is decent I was really trying to improve motion quality. Which got me started on changing the fps. I was running 15 fps but when I get cars that go by I get image stutter like the display isn't keeping up with the movement.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@sudo
1) Because the fps should be set in the camera - blue iris auto adjusts. If BI is receiving fewer fps than the camera is set to it may be a connection issue. Are the cameras wifi? Also are you running the DEMO or full version?
2) That should not happen..what is your cpu consumption? Are you recording direct to disk? This is important with when recording lots of HD cameras...record tab>file fromat
3)See 2

sudo

n3wb
Reaction score
1. I set the fps in the camera first and then set BI to the same fps value. Cameras are hard wired cat-5e. Running full version BI
2. CPU consumption is around 35 %, recording direct to disk.
3. See 2 :)

Thanks

What are the big hitters for motion stutter? It's not bad but it is noticeable when cars go by. I'm not sure if it's dependent on speed of motion.
Wonder if my video card on the PC would have anything to do with displaying the motion such that there is slight stutter? So far I'm not able to improve the stutter with BI or camera settings (assuming I'm tweaking the right knobs and in the right direction). I can definitely make it worse by a whole bunch with fps. Maybe my expectations are too high.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Blue iris does not utilize your video card. (hardware acceleration is being added at the end of the month)...
You dont have to set the fps in blue iris...it will auto adjust. What is the fps you are getting?
The best way to test is via the browser..how is the image there?

sudo

n3wb
Reaction score
I understand BI doesn't use the video card for decoding but wonder if the video card had an impact on the way it's passing it to the screen?

My fps drops to around 7fps when I try and set to anything above 15fps.

Image on the browser quality is better but it still has the "stutter" for moving objects. Are most folks getting smooth video?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I understand BI doesn't use the video card for decoding but wonder if the video card had an impact on the way it's passing it to the screen?

My fps drops to around 7fps when I try and set to anything above 15fps.

Image on the browser quality is better but it still has the "stutter" for moving objects. Are most folks getting smooth video?
The video card will not affect your issue.
Post a video of the "stutter"..
If you are only getting 7fps in blue iris something is wrong..what is your bitrate? how is your network setup?

sudo

n3wb
Reaction score
When reviewing a recorded file via the browser and then play it back I notice the following:
Object moving approx. the same rate.
Every 3rd frame the object "advances" much further in distance, where frame 1 and 2 the distance the object has moved is approx. the same.
Any clues here that point to something?

I was able to get my fps to increase reliably by decreasing the bit rate. Didn't see a notable difference in the "stutter" between 15 and 20fps.

Network setup:
All cameras come into a poe gigabit switch which is then patched to the network router.

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
When reviewing a recorded file via the browser and then play it back I notice the following:
Object moving approx. the same rate.
Everything 3rd frame the object "advances" much further in distance, where frame 1 and 2 the distance the object has moved is approx. the same.
Any clues here that point to something?

I was able to get my fps to increase reliably by decreasing the bit rate. Didn't see a notable difference in the "stutter" between 15 and 20fps.

Network setup:
All cameras come into a poe gigabit switch which is then patched to the network router.
Upload a video to youtube.
Is the blue iris pc also attached to the router or the same switch? If you can try attaching it to the same switch as the cameras.
What is the bitrate you were using?

sudo

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes the BI PC is attached to the same switch.

bitrate was at 8000 and now it's at 4000.

I was running 15fps at 8000; 20fps at 8000 dropped BI fps to ~7fps.

now I'm trying 20fps at 4000

No difference seen.

bp2008: I recorded in the browser and played it back in a standalone video player.

Thanks for the input guys.
I'll see about getting a video posted.

spyfly81

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What is your frame interval set to in the camera gui? Set it the same as your fps

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

wcrowder

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I Was trying to optimize the image quality on my 5 hikvision DS-2CD2032-I camera's and I've come up with a few questions.

1. Why does BI not keep up with the requested fps? For example if I set BI to 20fps and monitor it through the status window it shows those cameras that I have change to run at an even lower fps.

2. If I increase bit rate through the camera software settings why does fps decrease?

3. What is limiting me from running higher bit rate and fps? What's the best way to determine this?

The image quality is decent I was really trying to improve motion quality. Which got me started on changing the fps. I was running 15 fps but when I get cars that go by I get image stutter like the display isn't keeping up with the movement.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Simple a car going 60MPH at 15 frames in front of a 2.8mm lens to a road 50' from the house, roughly how much distance does it travel? How many feet between each frame, iframe? It is a trade off...

sudo

n3wb
Reaction score
spyfly81: iframe interval is 2x the fps ; in my case it's set to 30

wcrowder: Cars are traveling 15-20mph. I would assume that from 1 frame to the next the distance would be equal. But in my case every 3rd frame the car travels a longer distance. Which is what make the video appear as though it "stutters". I guess I expect the distance between each frame to be approx equal. Which would tend to display a smoother motion. Perhaps there is something with the exposure time for each frame. That it's not aligned with each frame.... dunno just thinking out loud.

Sparkey

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Sorry to resurrect this old thread but I have the same problem.

CPU = 17%
MEM = 18%
DISK = 28%
FPS = 7%
All cams and server are connected to a GigaBit Cisco POE switch. Entire system is trouble free except for the motion issue.

FPS is set to 30 in both Blue Iris and in the cams. Motion is hurky jerky like a stop action movie. I've played around with the setting in both Blue Iris and the cams and nothing changes.

TIA

EDIT : Recorded video is hurky jerky also. And I've done the suggestions in this thread and still no joy.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like you are using UI3. 7 FPS is pretty typical of a jpeg stream viewed on a decent network. To get 30 FPS you will need to stream H.264. Try in Chrome or Opera, which both support H.264 beautifully.

Sparkey

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm running Mint-MATE. Just installed
Sounds like you are using UI3. 7 FPS is pretty typical of a jpeg stream viewed on a decent network. To get 30 FPS you will need to stream H.264. Try in Chrome or Opera, which both support H.264 beautifully.
That you sir. Installed Opera and now all is well. :)