FPS on main stream showing over what the camera is set to

dbrannon79

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello all, I'm not sure if this is the right place to post for this kind of issue, Mods please feel free to move if needed.

I have been toying around with the cameras FPS/KEY settings trying to get them as close as possible to 15/1.00 in an effort to get the lag or camera delay down to a minimum. I have a total of 9 cameras and one live feed of my local weather radar (Father n law addicted to the weather) 5 of these cameras are IMOU cameras that are Dahau cameras under the hood ,one is a Anpviz camera, two are old cctv analog cameras using a usb capture device over MJPG and one is an older IP camera I had long before I got BI going. I was able to log into the Anpviz camera and set the frame interval to match the FPS without any issues and found an app called SmartPSS that allowed me to set the "I interval" for each of the IMOU (Dahau) cameras. all cameras are set to 15 FPS both main and sub streams along with matching frame interval / I intervals. My issue is when looking at the camera status window in BI, two of the IMOU cameras will auto increase the FPS on the main streams leaving the key side at a lower number. I highlighted the two cameras in question in the screenshot below.

I also have some issues to work out with the "Front Left" camera as it seem to loose FPS, not sure why that's happening, I will try to address that one later. But of the 4 IMOU cameras, three are holding the 15/1.00 or staying very close to that where two don't seem to respond to me setting them at the 15 FPS / 15 frame interval for the main stream. on the sub stream all 5 seem to be responding well other than a bit of up and down swings here and there. below is also a screenshot of the setting I have all 5 of the IMOU cameras set at. maybe I missed something?

1691810189737.png

1691811444352.png

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Don't know the IMOU cams well but can you set the StreamCtrl to CBR? ( i.e., constant bit rate vs variable.) If so, try that.

dbrannon79

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Don't know the IMOU cams well but can you set the StreamCtrl to CBR? ( i.e., constant bit rate vs variable.) If so, try that.
I have not tried that setting. also didn't know what it was for. I think all of the cameras except for the two analog and all set to CBR. I will try it and see what happens. Thank you

dbrannon79

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Doesn't look like it changed much.

Question: when BI takes images and send them to AI for object detection, does it use the sub stream or the main? I see all of the cameras except for the CCTV cameras have the sub stream on par, but the one camera "Front Left" which is the Anpviz has both the main and sub FPS down to 10. I need to look at that one and see if there is an issue with the ethernet cable or connection. I failed to mention that all of the cameras except for the CCTV ones and the "Turret" are connected with a POE switch. the Turret is on wifi.

1691813668382.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Depends on if you checked the use mainstream for AI analysis or not... but it will downrez anyway so no real reason to have that box checked.

dbrannon79

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I can't seem to figure out the Anpviz camera on the low fps. setting it higher, rebooting it and checking cable connections did nothing. lastly I tried just setting it to 10 fps with matching frame intervals and it seems to have brought up the key closer to 1.

1691815228709.png

1691815253301.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Some of the cheaper cameras will alter FPS and bitrate and shutter regardless of what you set them to as their firmware is set to favor a bright image.

As an example, Reolinks are notorious for doing this, so you may be chasing down a rabbit hole with no solution on that with the Anpviz

dbrannon79

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Depends on if you checked the use mainstream for AI analysis or not... but it will downrez anyway so no real reason to have that box checked.
Would that setting be here what I underlined in red?

1691815493633.png

dbrannon79

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
so it's best to leave that un-checked for all camera? just wanted to make sure.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
For most situations yes since it downrez's it anyway and thus runs up the CPU and delays the make time. One exception is for the ALPR module.

dbrannon79

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks. the delay is why I'm messing with this. I have been seeing random delays from when something is happening till when I get the notification. also I see a delay in the live view. I keep a old pc in the house connected to a tv with the web server showing all the time. I can walk though the house and with the two I have inside, I can walk up to that tv and then watch myself walking though the house!