FPS Changes in Blue Iris

MarkusAgustus

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi,

Is there a reason Blue Iris will change the FPS from the value I enter? I enter in 15 FPS and then sometime later Blue Iris changes it to 16 FPS. Is this normal? I have all my cameras set to 15FPS and I matched Blue Iris to it but BI keeps changing it to 16 FPS?

I was trying to diagnose micro stuttering. For the most part my video is smooth but there are what I call micro stutters. The further the moving object is away from the camera the more I notice it.

Any thoughts?

Attachments

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Blue Iris is a receiver of data sent by the camera. The only way to change the FPS rate is in the camera itself. Blue Iris can't do that at all, nor can it change brightness, contrast and a myriad of other settings that are unique to each camera.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Per the help file, the FPS you see in BI on that setup page is only applicable for USB type cameras like webcams. It serves no purpose for IP cameras, except for BI will up it to either match or exceed what the camera is sending it. No reason to touch that as it doesn't impact anything.

Stutters are usually related to something else like a bottleneck in your network topology like the cameras going thru a router for example.

MarkusAgustus

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Okay... and there I was thinking that the FPS in BI had to match the camera. :) Still curious to know why BI changes the value if it doesn't care about it. The good news is that the micro stutters I see are not related! Thank you...

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I think it is just a remnant of an older version and it was easier to just let the coding sit there and adjust it upward of what it was seeing.

spammenotinoz

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What from I have seen BlueIris ups this value to the highest frame rate it receives from the camera, so at some point your camera peaked to 16fps.
Really doesn't effect anything other than the amount of RAM BI allocates. So nothing to worry about unless you see crazy high values, then you can save some ram by dropping it back down.

DanDenver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@MarkusAgustus I thought the same thing - as I changed the FPS on the camera I thought this had to be in sync with every change
I can at least say that I learned something today
I also see that the value will float up in that field all the time to a few FPS higher than what I set it to (generally from 10 FPS to 11 FPS)

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I never even pay attention to what BI lists for frame rates. It can only receive what the camera sends so the whole thing is kind of a moot point, isn't it?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The only reason you would care about it is if for some reason BI was showing way higher, like you are running 15FPS but is shows 30FPS. RAM usage will drop if you go to the FPS or one up from what your cameras are sending.

MarkusAgustus

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
How many times do you have to read the manual to qualify as having.... "Read the manual?"

Which leads me to the next thought...it came to me the other day as I was once again trying figure out the best options to pick, etc. Perhaps this is a challenge to the senior members of this board, and it may even be fun!

How about someone making an exam? It will have to be multiple choice but the questions could require one to really know what they're talking about to arrive at the correct answer... just a thought...