Foxes everywhere . . . here's one going up a fence

StevenFromTexas

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Great capture!
I'm so used to looking at the foxes in black and white at night in the front yard and back yard, or in color from too far way, so I was amazed to see how beautiful a fox can be close-up. There is a 5000K LED light above the two camera that directs light downward that I use to watch the alley and the intense light really allowed the fox's colors to show. The storage shed that the cameras are mounted on sits five feet away from the fence per local building regulations, but I can still record most of what travels the alley.

StevenFromTexas

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Nice shots. It looks like a gray fox.

We have red foxes in my area. I rarely see them.

P.S. The fence looks like it's 8' tall, yet the fox had no trouble climbing straight up.
Yes, the fence is 8' tall and the fox knew exactly what it was doing. It went down the other side of the fence into the alley.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Nice shots. It looks like a gray fox.

We have red foxes in my area. I rarely see them.

P.S. The fence looks like it's 8' tall, yet the fox had no trouble climbing straight up.
Yes, beautiful shot of a beautiful creature.
We have both reds and grays, but the grays are more plentiful and the reds more timid....but maybe there's just as many reds than I realize but they stay hidden more than the grays. :idk:

StevenFromTexas

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yes, beautiful shot of a beautiful creature.
We have both reds and grays, but the grays are more plentiful and the reds more timid....but maybe there's just as many reds than I realize but they stay hidden more than the grays. :idk:
A neighbor near me has seen a red fox before, but I haven't. My brother, who resides in a newly developed area, had a red fox that stayed in his back yard at night for quite some time and his neighbors would see the red fox on top of the houses walking around.

Sometimes the foxes come by my house in pairs and sometimes there are three of them together. What's amazing is seeing the foxes walk by cats that are literally within feet of them and the foxes and cats ignore each other. I've also seen cats run across the street to where a fox is. :nervous:

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
I have red foxes in my yard every night. Rarely ever see a grey one here.

Yeah, cats and foxes don't seem to bother each other much. My one cat would play with them at times. Run and chase each other like a game. The fox would get down on its front legs and bounce back and forth like a dog wanting to play.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The summer of 2007 was in the middle of a 2 year drought from '06 to '08 here in NW Alabama. It was dry and it was hot. The grass was dying or dead and the local wildlife was struggling. Most every day for weeks we'd feed the foxes that would come up. It got to where when we'd get up in the morning one or more would be laying down in the yard waiting on us. Often a racoon would show up as well. We also had a couple of water bowls but a 21,000 acre lake is just 300 yards away.

These are 15 year old smartphone images, not so good.

Images 1 and 2 are of the skinny red foxes.
Images 3 and 4 are of my wife feeding a gray.
Image 5 is of a red laying down; note the deer spying from behind the tree.
Image 6 is where a 'coon showed up as well and a gray laying down in the background.

Image1.jpg Image2.jpg image3.jpg image4.jpg Image5.jpg image6.jpg

Last edited: