Fox and my Cat Meet for a Drink

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
One of the neighborhood foxes happened to make its nightly visit to my pond while the cat was there. They're used to each other so kind of uneventful. lol

(Cat's kind of hard to see in the small player.)

dok0619

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
One of the neighborhood foxes happened to make its nightly visit to my pond while the cat was there. They're used to each other so kind of uneventful. lol

(Cat's kind of hard to see in the small player.)
cat was so still didnt see it at first lol... as fox is leaving he stops and I can almost hear him thinking... "maybe just a bite before I leave.....naw...."

Perimeter

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Can you tell us the height of the camera, the focal length of this model and the vertical distance to the cat, please? Also the bandwidth you give the camera?

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Cat stood his ground. Good kitty
He's +20 years old and owns the neighborhood. There was a time when he'd have been chasing or playing with it but he's a lot more chill these days.

I've watched the foxes and cats a lot over the years. Never seen any kind of real aggression by foxes toward cats. They'll approach and even try to play sometimes but, as here, they're always the more wary and on the receiving end of any escalations and run off. They seem to know that cats are too much risk to mess with for a meal.

Last edited:

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Can you tell us the height of the camera, the focal length of this model and the vertical distance to the cat, please? Also the bandwidth you give the camera?
It's a 3.6 Color4K-X mounted at about 6.5' and about 20 feet to the cat. The area around the pond is raised some so sitting on the rock effectively it's probably 2' feet less as far as the height goes.

Oh... bitrate is 12,288, CBR, 20 FPS.

Last edited:

JDreaming

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
He's +20 years old and owns the neighborhood. There was a time when he'd have been chasing or playing with it but he's a lot more chill these days.

I've watched the foxes and cats a lot over the years. Never seen any kind of real aggression by foxes toward cats. They'll approach and even try to play sometimes but, as here, they're always the more wary and on the receiving end of any escalations and run off. They seem to know that cat's are too much risk to mess with for a meal.
That remind me of a black and white tuxedo cat from my block who pass away 2 years ago. He was almost 30 years old and walks around like a king who owns everything in the block. He was always friendly with people especially children, kids from the block can went over and pat him no problem. But when dogs walk by he will sit down in the middle of sidewalk and stare at the dogs not moving away or anything, if dogs try to sniff him he will attack with his paws, and the dogs were the one usually got spooked and running away. I miss seeing him around....:(

Perimeter

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It's a 3.6 Color4K-X mounted at about 6.5' and about 20 feet to the cat. The area around the pond is raised some so sitting on the rock effectively it's probably 2' feet less as far as the height goes.

Oh... bitrate is 12,288, CBR, 20 FPS.
The quality is awesome. But you got everything right. It is the X, not the T. Target is far enough from cam. Decent bitrate. You are not using cam illumination but have lights around?
Too bad I have no place for it.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
That remind me of a black and white tuxedo cat from my block who pass away 2 years ago. He was almost 30 years old and walks around like a king who owns everything in the block. He was always friendly with people especially children, kids from the block can went over and pat him no problem. But when dogs walk by he will sit down in the middle of sidewalk and stare at the dogs not moving away or anything, if dogs try to sniff him he will attack with his paws, and the dogs were the one usually got spooked and running away. I miss seeing him around....:(
We had a cat like that in our neighborhood. When I would walk by with our white Lab the cat would always try to show who was the boss. Anyways he apparently tried that with a coyote and lost. I found what was left of his remains two doors down on a front lawn. The owner had 3 cats and he is now down to one. I believe a coyote got a 2nd cat from that house.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
The quality is awesome. But you got everything right. It is the X, not the T. Target is far enough from cam. Decent bitrate. You are not using cam illumination but have lights around?
Too bad I have no place for it.
Yeah, spent some time getting the lights the way that I wanted for that area. Didn't want it too bright all the time but still good for the cam. To the eye it's much less bright than it looks on that cam. Those lights let me adjust things as I want as ar as brightness/color and I can bring them up to give more light when there's a trigger. More info here:
My Pond Cam

The on-board illumination really kind of sucked for that view. See post #16 in the thread above. Might work better in a smaller area, a porch whatever, but not good for there.

Kind of go back and forth wishing that I'd gotten the 6mm sometimes but wasn't available yet when I bought that one.

JDreaming

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
We had a cat like that in our neighborhood. When I would walk by with our white Lab the cat would always try to show who was the boss. Anyways he apparently tried that with a coyote and lost. I found what was left of his remains two doors down on a front lawn. The owner had 3 cats and he is now down to one. I believe a coyote got a 2nd cat from that house.
Cats and dogs are pretty safe in my neighborhood since there are no coyotes or any other big predators around. The only time I ever see a cat being attacked was by a pair of mockingbirds.

It seems like a pair of mockingbirds are stalking one of my neighbor's cat the last 3 years. They would follow the female cat around during the summer time and keep attacking her relentlessly, not sure if the cat ate their babies or they are just being territorial. Their nest is probably on top of the big tree in my neighbor's backyard.

Perimeter

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Kind of go back and forth wishing that I'd gotten the 6mm sometimes but wasn't available yet when I bought that one.
What is nice about the clip is the crisp sharpness. You would likely have lost some of that with the 6mm, as it requires even more distance to target. Over 20ft iirc.