Found something that causes BI to crash every few minutes....

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
We had a wicked lightning storm that came through two nights ago. It cooked four switches. In the process of replacing them, I neglected to plug my small NAS drive back in. Since I don't really use it for anything other than backups, I didn't notice that it was off line until this afternoon.

My BI server certainly did. Turns out I had pointed to that drive to store the log (txt) file. I don't remember why I didn't store it locally, but alas, apparently when BI cannot get to the log location, it throws a hissy fit.

As soon as I plugged that NAS back into the network, the crashing stopped.

Just thought I'd share...

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
No doubt, and it's a real conundrum... Spend 10x more to lightning-proof (but not eliminate risk), or continue to replace lower cost switches and hardware (die by 1000 papercuts).
Every device that was taken out by the lightning was behind and "protected" by a big UPS being on the front end.......but hey, the UPS is ok and so are it's MOV's........I feel so much better knowing it still works.....:banghead:

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
If it's anything like my system, I doubt your excess voltage came through the AC lines. I have so many long (500'+) runs of buried cat6 (between house/barn/gate/street) that I'm a huge antenna in search of an EMP... I've yet to lose any non-networked devices. I'm all but certain the transient voltage spikes are coming down the LAN... the first thing hit are switches at either end. Usually it's a single port on a switch that will go dark. Other times, like this week, it'll be the whole switch (or four). And worst case, it'll be switches and cameras.

I had one hit a year ago. Nailed the utility pole to which my Dahua PTZ was attached. The RJ45 on the end of the camera was vaporized. The 400' cat6 cable, which was only strung along my fence and not buried) had blow outs about ever 20' or so that looked like someone shoved a fire cracker under the jacket. The Dahua came right back up after I put a new end on it, believe it or not.

DLONG2

Known around here
Reaction score
I had one hit a year ago. Nailed the utility pole to which my Dahua PTZ was attached. The RJ45 on the end of the camera was vaporized. The 400' cat6 cable, which was only strung along my fence and not buried) had blow outs about ever 20' or so that looked like someone shoved a fire cracker under the jacket. The Dahua came right back up after I put a new end on it, believe it or not.
timex-watches-print-ads.jpg