Found a setting in UI3 that if misused can significantly increase CPU usage

luder888

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have two sessions of Chrome Tab casting active on my BI server. Over the last few days I noticed my CPU usage was way above normal. Chrome would be using around 25% and BI would be using around 65%. I followed every advice in the Optimizing Blue Iris CPU Usage to no avail.

Then just now I was messing around with the UI3 settings and noticed the Gear icon on the lower right corner had "Jpeg HD" selected. I went ahead and selected "720p" and my CPU usage from Chrome and BI went down a total of 30%.

Just a tip in case someone is struggling with this.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
You're viewing UI3 on the same computer that runs Blue Iris? Why not just use the local console?

The main CPU improvement would probably come from the fact that H.264 decoding can be hardware accelerated in Chrome whereas I do not believe the same applies to Jpeg. There won't be nearly such a difference if you use the web UI for actual remote viewing so you don't have the browser competing for resources with Blue Iris.

luder888

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I actually have two Chromecast dongles hooked up to two other TVs located throughout the house. That's why I'm casting it from the server.