Foscam FI9803P Compatible with BI?

burky39

n3wb
Reaction score
[h=1]Is the Foscam FI9803P Plug and Play 1.0 Megapixel (1280x720p) H.264 Outdoor Wireless IP Camera compatible with Blue Iris?

If not, what similar Foscam might be?[/h]

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Is the Foscam FI9803P Plug and Play 1.0 Megapixel (1280x720p) H.264 Outdoor Wireless IP Camera compatible with Blue Iris?

If not, what similar Foscam might be?
Welcome to the forum. Yes it is, but there are much better options than foscam. Start reading the forum.

burky39

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks Fenderman. I will order my unit tonight.

Not sure where your "read the Forum" comment comes from as I have been a member of this forum for years and have contributed a reasonable amount including an extensive jason Command software package to interface with BI.

I have a number of Foscam cameras and have never had any problem with them and have been very pleased with the quality and service I have gotten out of them. Their price performance IMHO has been a good match.

I guess you may need to define "Better" as there are lots of good solutions in that sample space depending on what is important to you.

I for one have been highly satisfied with Foscam, and have never had a failure in ~10 years of using about a dozen of various models of these units.

I'm not sure what I would seek to get something "better.":)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Fenderman. I will order my unit tonight.

Not sure where your "read the Forum" comment comes from as I have been a member of this forum for years and have contributed a reasonable amount including an extensive jason Command software package to interface with BI.

I have a number of Foscam cameras and have never had any problem with them and have been very pleased with the quality and service I have gotten out of them. Their price performance IMHO has been a good match.

I guess you may need to define "Better" as there are lots of good solutions in that sample space depending on what is important to you.

I for one have been highly satisfied with Foscam, and have never had a failure in ~10 years of using about a dozen of various models of these units.

I'm not sure what I would seek to get something "better.":)
No need to get defensive. You have two posts on this forum and your initial post was your first. The question itself implies that you dont understand the basics of how blue iris works. Its simply pulls an rtsp or onvif stream so it will work with the foscam - not to mention that the camera is specifically listed on the drop down list. Its 2016, 720p cameras should not even be a consideration. 1080p is the way to go. Since you never experienced a better camera I can understand not appreciating it. I assure you that once you do you will never look at a foscam again.
You experience with foscam is the unlike mine and many other users here. There are much better options.

burky39

n3wb
Reaction score
I wasn't intending to be "defense" but I was puzzled by the comment.

I am VERY aware of how BI works, and had to work with Ken and dig in pretty thoroughly on many aspects to write the Jason BI Command handler software.

Because of the way that BI works, is why I have been highly satisfied with the Foscams. I don't expect anything from the Foscam's at all except a video stream. I let BI handle everything else.

Thus Foscam features and firmware "improvements" have little impact in my purchase decision as I don't need or use those Foscam assets (other than expecting product reliability and a reasonable video stream). To keep my networkwork bandwidth down I never use more than 1-10 frames per sec either, so I am not pushing the Foscams at all.

Thus my comment that "That one man's better may be another man's excessive."

My better universe is satisfied by price/performance, and reasonable reliability, both of which have yielded excellent results (at least for me), and I have recommended Foscam to many others, who to the best of my knowledge have also been pleased with their results.

Just sayin' :rapture:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I wasn't intending to be "defense" but I was puzzled by the comment.

I am VERY aware of how BI works, and had to work with Ken and dig in pretty thoroughly on many aspects to write the Jason BI Command handler software.

Because of the way that BI works, is why I have been highly satisfied with the Foscams. I don't expect anything from the Foscam's at all except a video stream. I let BI handle everything else.

Thus Foscam features and firmware "improvements" have little impact in my purchase decision as I don't need or use those Foscam assets (other than expecting product reliability and a reasonable video stream). To keep my networkwork bandwidth down I never use more than 1-10 frames per sec either, so I am not pushing the Foscams at all.

Thus my comment that "That one man's better may be another man's excessive."

My better universe is satisfied by price/performance, and reasonable reliability, both of which have yielded excellent results (at least for me), and I have recommended Foscam to many others, who to the best of my knowledge have also been pleased with their results.

Just sayin' :rapture:
If you know how blue iris works, why the initial question? It makes no sense to me.
Why were you puzzled if it was your first post? I always recommended folks look elsewhere other than foscam. Unlike other forums, here, we dont delete posts when folks complain about their foscams or any other camera.
FPS has no impact on network performance. Its all about the bitrate. Most older foscams, and even some new ones they sell are not h.264, hogging bandwidth. Heck, they still sell vga cameras.
Again, since you never tried a better camera you are really not in the position to say its excessive. Every new member here who mentions Foscams will be informed that there are much better options out there. I wouldn't recommend foscam to my worst enemy. Just sayin.

burky39

n3wb
Reaction score
I can only assume that somehow we are talking past each other.

I'm not sure where the confusion is, but thanks for the initial response that the FI 9803 worked. I could find no confirmation of that on the BI site, nor in a search of this forum, and since I have had cameras that BI did not support, I wished to avoid that situation again.

Your help was appreciated.

Thanks anyway for trying to warn me about things that were not an issue in my current situation, and were not very relevant in this one case. Sometimes the world is not purely black and white.
[:)}

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I can only assume that somehow we are talking past each other.

I'm not sure where the confusion is, but thanks for the initial response that the FI 9803 worked. I could find no confirmation of that on the BI site, nor in a search of this forum, and since I have had cameras that BI did not support, I wished to avoid that situation again.

Your help was appreciated.

Thanks anyway for trying to warn me about things that were not an issue in my current situation, and were not very relevant in this one case. Sometimes the world is not purely black and white.
[:)}
The camera is listed in the BI drop down menu. At least in BI4. If you are using BI3 i suggest you upgrade to 4. Furthermore as stated you dont need confirmation for a specific camera. As long as the camera has an rtsp or onvif stream it will work.
I warn anyone who mentions intending to use or that they just recently purchased subpar brands. This will save them lots of trouble.