Foggy night images (Hikvision)

bertsirkin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a Hikvision DS-2CD2132F 4mm CCTV Dome Camera and am getting this at night:

Foggy.jpg

I've read several posts about foggy images and have read the Hikvision bulletin entitled "Technical Bulletin DS-2CD21x2-I Dome Camera IR Leakage v1.1". The glass is spotless - I'm a photographer and am very particular about clean optics! The glass dome is tightened as much as I can hand-tighten it, although it doesn't look like the rubber ring around the lens is actually touching the glass. I'm pretty sure the cause is reflection from the IR LEDs into the lens, but I'm not sure how to resolve it.

Anyone else found a solution to this problem?

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Probably not the advise you''re looking for, but I would suggest that you swap out your Hikvision dome for a Hikvision turret unit. This is what I did and it solved the exact same issue that you appear to be experiencing.

Alternatively, you might turn off the camera's IR and apply light to the FOV by way of another source?

bertsirkin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I was considering replacing it with a bullet camera, but the turret camera might be more inconspicuous. I would use the dome camera indoors, but I would have the same issue - although it would be easier to "hack" a solution indoors - and maybe even leave off the glass dome.

Not sure why they'd create a glass covered camera with the IR LEDs on the inside of the glass.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a Hikvision DS-2CD2132F 4mm CCTV Dome Camera and am getting this at night:

View attachment 7286

I've read several posts about foggy images and have read the Hikvision bulletin entitled "Technical Bulletin DS-2CD21x2-I Dome Camera IR Leakage v1.1". The glass is spotless - I'm a photographer and am very particular about clean optics! The glass dome is tightened as much as I can hand-tighten it, although it doesn't look like the rubber ring around the lens is actually touching the glass. I'm pretty sure the cause is reflection from the IR LEDs into the lens, but I'm not sure how to resolve it.

This issue is caused by IR reflection and is due to improper mounting or installation. See the pdf in post 10 here on how to resolve it.
https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/1177-Hikvision-Foggy-as-***?p=10194&viewfull=1#post10194

bertsirkin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
That's the "Technical Bulletin DS-2CD21x2-I Dome Camera IR Leakage v1.1" that I previously mentioned - I already had read it and did all that it mentioned.
Post an image of the mounted camera.

avi6581

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have also had this problem before, looked exactly the same. Went through the process of adjusting the ring and no luck, checked the inside of the glass was spotless... Turned out the lense on the outside was just filthy on the outside. Gave it a good polish with my sleeve. Fixed. Sounds like you've already checked this though .

OldStyle

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Bert, I can safely say that I wont' be buying another one of the 2132F domes. I have one in my garage, and it's only sharp throughout perhaps 50% of the image. The rest of blurry enough to where I could not see a license plate of a vehicle backing into my garage. Like the other posters mentioned, I might swap it out for a turret.

bertsirkin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Is there any object surrounding the camera?
Also, is the lens positioned as far down as possible? It may be too far down so that the foam is not making a good seal with the dome.
Not sure why I didn't see this, but there is a white "shelf" below it - this could definitely be an issue. This side view shows it:

camside.jpg

I'll try putting some black plastic on top of the shelf to see if that helps tonight.

P.S.

I didn't have anything appropriate, so, for now, I've "hacked" a solution - I taped some black plastic (garbage bag) to the top of the white surface. I'll see what happens tonight.
CamBlackPlastic.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

gordo

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If the black plastic bag is shiny, could it reflect the light?

hook3m

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I was considering replacing it with a bullet camera, but the turret camera might be more inconspicuous.
Turrets have a much better night image. I have actually replaced a few bullets because bullets have much more video noise at night.

Last edited by a moderator:

john306

n3wb
Reaction score
My 2142 is not the best under IR, luckily I've got sufficient light to leave it on day settings all the time.
You could take the dome off and try it without to see if that is the problem

bertsirkin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I put a piece of black garbage bag on the white surface just below the camera - it is shiny, but it's secured with matte electrical tape, which covers much of the bag. As you can see, it made a big difference.

DomeComp.jpg

The image isn't ideal - there's a LOT of noise in it - a combination of low LED output and a small sensor. Thanks fenderman for getting me to realize it was reflection from a nearby object.

I'll eventually replace the garbage bag with something more substantial that has a matte surface.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
People are buying these cams left and right and come out dissapointed with night vision. I made this mistake twice. They are just no good for identification in this scenario. Either add external IR or replace with a better cam.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@bertsirkin You can minimize the noise by lowering the wdr (under 10, or disabling it) as well as increase the noise reduction. If you have outdoor lighting put them on a dusk to dawn timer.

Fragmaster

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

View attachment 7286

I have the same issue with this done camera.