flux seconcondary enable vs desable

superpatpat

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
hello to all, I have a small question I have dahua cameras that I have liked for a while, in the configuration the secondary stream is activated my question is what is it for exactly, what advantage do I have if I deactivate it my camera will you be better ;-)

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Video tends to be processor and storage intensive. i.e., It takes a lot of resources to deal with it. Substreams are used where a lower resolution stream can be employed to reduce those requirements for whatever may be using the video stream.

For example, the multi-camera view in a VMS system. You generally don't need full resolution for the small windows like that so instead of the system having to handle the main streams to display all of those many cameras, you can use the substreams instead to greatly lower processing requirements. Same applies for various other aspects like storage and analysis. . The substream can be recorded at a lower storage cost instead during times where there's no activity, then when triggered switch to the main stream. A lower resolution stream is less to process for motion detection. Etc... Also useful in some odd cases where you may want to display a higher resolution camera on something that doesn't handle that well. e.g., I have a small Alexa display at my desk that pops up video of whatever when a cam in my system triggers. It can't handle anything greater than 1080 so I send the substream from cams with higher resolutions.

Turning it off where it's not used won't have any practical benefit.

superpatpat

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
thank you very much for his information, sorry for my English, I'm taking a translator, I have one last question but I don't know if I'm in the right section, I updated my dmss app on my iphone, my cameras work with IVS , I have a cam that has 4 ivs to miss nothing, before I had a single notification on my iphone for this camera now with the update of the application for this camera I have 4 notifications because of 4 ivs, it has killed a way to configure to have a single notification thank you again

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
I don’t use and don’t know how things work in DMSS. If nobody answers here, try posting with a title more specific to that.