first time trying, cant get switch to connect

goneracin

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I bought a refub JG539A HPE managed switch.
I plug in the cable from it to my computer, and it sees it, but it does not find its ip address
so it gives it no network access, and i cant read anything i plug into it.
Naturally being old, info is old and outdated (im on windoze 10)
trying to change its detection from auto to manual, it asks for things i dont know
Thanks

goneracin

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
According to this, it's of the 1910 series......here's how to access and set it up ==>> HPE OfficeConnect 1910 Switch Series, Getting Started Guide
thanks for that.
ve read that, and none of it as far as hooking up makes sense in win10
my computer im using doesnt have a serial, its usb. Im trying ot go in through the ethernet port as i dont have any usb to ethernet adapters. Maybe thats my issue? im trying ot go in through the out door? Although ethernet should be in and out

goneracin

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I may be an idiot.
i think i need the ethernet to usb cable
i assumed i could go into the ethernet port, but now i think not
not for the initial setup

goneracin

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Do you have the switch plugged into your network?
It should pick up an IP address from your home router or whatever you use to dish out IP addresses.
You would need to check in your router to see what IP the switch picked up.

EDIT: this might help...
i plugged the switch into the computer im going to run the blue iris off of.
I assumed i could plug into the computer, not into my internet router?
im using a dedicated computer for the cams

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score
usually you plug the switch into the internet router first. in a front port of switch. as soon as you see it start blinking (talking) then you go ahead and plug your computer into another port on the front of the switch.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That is why many of us go with a second ethernet card in the BI computer - simpler and cheaper LOL

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Setting up vlans on a switch isn't overly difficult.
While that may be true for some switches, we see a lot more people having trouble with managed switches than we do dual NIC LOL....especially for someone that isn't computer savvy!

But the dual NIC is cheaper and faster, and depending on the number of cameras, I think better than VLANs (although true VLAN users will refute it LOL).

For example, the EdgeRouter X is claimed to be somewhere between 800Mbps to 1Gbps, but you see tests all over where people are only getting in the 700Mbps range.

On my isolated NIC, my cameras are streaming non-stop 350Mbps. Unlike other devices like streaming services, these cameras do not buffer, so this is full-on, never stopping to take a breath. Even if someone has a gigabit router, a 3rd of non-buffering 24/7 data passing through it probably isn't good either.

I would just as soon not have that much video data going thru a device if it doesn't need to. Has to slow the system down.

looktall

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
For example, the EdgeRouter X is claimed to be somewhere between 800Mbps to 1Gbps, but you see tests all over where people are only getting in the 700Mbps range.
There's more to network throughput than just how fast a switch or router can push data.
The thing doing the sending and receiving needs to be able to keep up with it too.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
If you’ve connected the switch directly to the BI Pc then there will be no DHCP available so assuming the switch is set to use DHCP it won’t be getting and IP in your network.

If it’s 2nd hand, first thing I would do is reset it to factory defaults, you don’t know how the previous owner configured it. Then plug it into your home network, using port 1 and take it from there to see if you can then login in and configure it.

As far as VLANS are concerned, configure everything in you bench, for a beginner it’s all to easy to effectively lock yourself out so at least if it’s in front of you can quickly reset it back to defaults if you need to.

Another thing worth doing is even if you have no plans of plugging the switch into your home network it’s always worth configuring 1 port on a VLAN for your home network, this way you then have 2 IP networks that you can access the switch via as a just in case.

looktall

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Another thing worth doing is even if you have no plans of plugging the switch into your home network it’s always worth configuring 1 port on a VLAN for your home network, this way you then have 2 IP networks that you can access the switch via as a just in case.
Most business grade switches have two uplink ports.
If I'm looking at the right switch this one will have port 25 and 26.
You could set one to your camera vlan and the other to your home network vlan.

looktall

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
This is a good example where a network novice should should start out with an un-managed switch. :cool:
If the switch is going to be kept on an isolated network there's no need to even configure it.
Just run it unmanaged.

You only need to configure it if you want to use it for multiple networks at the same time to keep them separate (and even then you could still leave it unmanaged if really had to).

Starglow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If the switch is going to be kept on an isolated network there's no need to even configure it.
Just run it unmanaged.

You only need to configure it if you want to use it for multiple networks at the same time to keep them separate (and even then you could still leave it unmanaged if really had to).
Managed switches still need to be initially configured for the network they're on even if they're not being actively managed during operation.

goneracin

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
This is a good example where a network novice should should start out with an un-managed switch. :cool:

That being said, the instructions linked in post #5 by @looktall are explicit and detailed; follow them and you should be able to configure the switch.
when i bought it, i had no clue between managed and unmanaged.
this thread has been informative. When im not at work, ill have to figure it out.
thanks everyone for the help. This is my first time doing anything like this, so the learning curve is steep

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
I don't think managed vs unmanaged is the issue here..... It sounds like the OP is trying to run a portion of his network without a DHCP server (router) connected and his computers/devices are set up for DHCP network addresses. That would be an issue with an unmanaged switch too. He has a router on the main part of his network, but nothing on the "BI side" of his dual nic computer. The easiest way to fix this is to use static addresses for all the devices set up on the BI side of the network in a different network address range than his router is setup to use. Perhaps 192.168.1.X in the router and 172.20.0.X on the BI side of things.

99.9999% of the time, you can plug a managed switch into your network and it will work just fine as an "unmanaged" switch without having to change any settings. The one time this might not work is if you buy a used switch and it hasn't been reset to factory defaults and the previous user had set up some specific settings for their network. If this is the case, simply factory resetting the switch should make it work just fine. It's possible that is the issue in this case since it is "refurbished".

Last edited: