First time I've ever seen snow falling!

Philip Gonzales

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I didn't know you were in SA! We've been there a couple times on vacation. Were only about 8 hours from you. The Riverwalk is pretty awesome! What I remember of it anyways. Crazy that it's snowing there.
Tourist always talk about the river walk lol. It's kind of bleh to me as I've been there so many times. I was born and raised in a small little town outside of SA. Moved to the big city a few years ago to be closer to work.

Philip Gonzales

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
25 years in Texas, 15 here in Floriduh, and I still miss it

A little early for snow in SA aint it ? :eek:
It literally doesn't snow here in SA. Ever. Some people say it snowed in 2008 but I think it was just flurries. It snowed in like 1985 or something but I wasn't even born then!

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I know was kidding ;) Spent most of my time in DFW but did 5 years in Houston and traveled the S. Texas business circuit every week. Up 290 to Austin, down 35 to SA, back across I10 to Houston. Don't ever recall snow further south than Austin..and that was rare.

Damn global warming...

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Bigredfish "climate change"...

And Philip, I'm in Canada. If you find that you like shoveling driveways I can set you up in my back building and you can shovel mine as often as you like. :)

Philip Gonzales

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Im in S NM, it snows here a little bit, couple inches once or twice a year and melts the next day, nothin major. But 2 years ago we had an actual blizzard come thru. All this snow fell in 1 day! Took 5 days to dig us out! Once we got past this snow drift there were 2 more before I could get past the drive way. :D

Cabin fever is a real thing! When we first got out we headed to the store for supplies (ran out of toilet paper lol) and it felt so damn good to be around people again.

View attachment 24445
Wow I can only imagine. I don't think I would hack it any further north haha. I want to travel to Colorado one day (my wife has family there) in the winter and check out all the snow/mountains. The most snow I have seen on the ground in person was at the Denver Airport when we had a layover for a business trip. I so wanted to go outside and build a snowman but it was a short layover.

Philip Gonzales

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Bigredfish "climate change"...

And Philip, I'm in Canada. If you find that you like shoveling driveways I can set you up in my back building and you can shovel mine as often as you like. :)
Maybe if I ever visit Canada, I'll stop by and give it a go.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Im in S NM, it snows here a little bit, couple inches once or twice a year and melts the next day, nothin major. But 2 years ago we had an actual blizzard come thru. All this snow fell in 1 day! Took 5 days to dig us out! Once we got past this snow drift there were 2 more before I could get past the drive way. :D

Cabin fever is a real thing! When we first got out we headed to the store for supplies (ran out of toilet paper lol) and it felt so damn good to be around people again.

View attachment 24445
Looks like a Tuesday up here...

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score

View attachment 24445
Oh man, that is rough. That is not very much snow by my standards, but the drift is enormous and in an area where nobody owns a snow blower, too!

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Best laugh I saw was in New York when they had a couple of inches. We were out doing the tourist thing and expected to get a cab from the train to the hotel. Nuh uh... We had to walk a few miles in the snow because the hotel refused to send out the shuttle they advertised as being available. The cab companies weren't even bothering to answer their phones. Nothing on Uber either. I did get a great kick the next day out of seeing all the garbage trucks with tiny little plows on the front.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Snow Stories!

I lived through the Blizzard of '77 in Buffalo, NY. 12 ft of snow that year. It snowed every day for 30 straight days. Wind chill was frequently 70 below 0 F.

People would get stuck and abandon their cars on the spot, whether in the middle of the road or blocking an intersection. Later, the big snow plows simply pushed them aside.

To clear the roads, abandoned cars were simply moved to any nearby empty lot. And with very little tracking of the car's new location. Meanwhile, a shit load of snow had to be cleared. Front loaders and dump trucks were used to haul away snow. They dumped the snow anywhere they could, often in the same empty lots that contained the towed cars. Many cars were buried, lost until the spring melt. Only then did owners learn where their car had been for the last 2 to 3 months!

I remember walking on the top crust of snow, and occasionally seeing a car antenna sticking up through the snow. A completely buried car wasn't uncommon, esp on the side streets.

College was closed for many days (and it takes a LOT of snow for school to be cancelled in Buffalo!). So many students living near campus, and no classes. What are college kids to do? Our hardship was: All the beer flew off store shelves. Then the liquor stores emptied out. Fortunately, we managed to buy kegs of beer for several "Blizzard Parties". Toilet paper became a valued commodity. And milk. And fuel oil for home heating.

Driving was outlawed for many days, except for emergency situations. (getting a keg qualified, we reasoned). If you owned a 4 wheel drive vehicle, you were required to report to the police, and help ferry medicine to people, take 'em for doctor visits, rescue people who ran out of fuel oil for their furnace, take people to the emergency room, give rides to nurses and doctors so they could get to their work shift, etc.

Some folks who got their cars stuck in snow decided to stay in their cars, with the engine running and heater on. Bad choice. When snow piled up, or when the wind packed snow under their car, the Carbon Monoxide entered the car's cabin. Several died.

Buffalonians are hardy folks, and this boy from Long Island, NY was impressed (by the people and snow).
Yet life went on.

I worked in a bar at the time. For days and days, the bar was always packed. The crowds far exceeded any normal weekend crowd. And we housed many customers overnight, because they had no way of getting home. Luckily, the kitchen didn't run out of food.

Other cities sent snow removal equipment. eg: Lotsa gear came down from Toronto.

Fire hydrants were buried in the snow banks at the side of the road, from the plowing. The fire dept had a real challenge battling house fires. The amount of house fires increased, due to people using portable heaters to keep their house warm.

Jay-walking was greatly reduced. Mid-street, it was almost impossible to climb over the snow banks to reach the road. Crossing at intersections was never so popular!

That was snow!

Fastb