First Set up/activation questions

Vandoe

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
About to set up a hikvision NVR with 12 cameras. My question is, how should I set it up initially? Is there any better method over the other as far as plugging into the NVR and setting up that way vrs setting it up via web browser? First time doing this so I would like the easiest as possible but want best method. Can one method do something the other can’t?

Vandoe

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Or should I activate NVR then add manually via NVR?
If plugging in to NVR and setting it up that way, do I plug all 12 cameras in before I power on NVR?
Just confused since there are so many different methods and I can’t find a suggestion of one over the other and the difference them all.

Dingoboy77

n3wb
Reaction score
Or should I activate NVR then add manually via NVR?
If plugging in to NVR and setting it up that way, do I plug all 12 cameras in before I power on NVR?
Just confused since there are so many different methods and I can’t find a suggestion of one over the other and the difference them all.
Hikvision has a very good setup wizard. I suggest just starting up the NVR and following the instructions. It will go through all of your networking/recording/etc. settings and will probably answer any questions you may have right now (including remote access). If you go through the setup wizard and still have questions, feel free to ask them.

Vandoe

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I would suggest not connecting any cameras though until you complete the setup of the NVR

Will this method automatically assign all of the IP address and other settings? I’m not too familiar with changing IP addresses and all of that. Also, how do I check that the NVR and cameras have updated firmware? Can I do this after they are all activated and connected?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It is recommended that you connect one camera at a time on the desk to check it out. Then configure that camera and then do the next one. After configuring the cameras install them.

It is important to keep the cameras organized. The first camera that is plugged into the first ports, is always plugged into the first port, when the camera is installed, it is plugged into the first port . Do not mix cameras and ports on installation.

Vandoe

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Okay so activate NVR first
(Check for firm ware version? Where can I see this?)
Then one at a time plug in the camera to activate on the NVR
( and again how do I check firmware version?)
Update if necessary
Then plug in next camera to 2nd Poe port and repeat process? (Should I unplug the first one or just keep adding?)

sorry for all the questions, just don’t want to screw anything up

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Don't worry about firmware updates, until you see if everything is working to your satisfaction. There is always a risk of bricking an item when updating firmware, so, don't fix it, if it's not broken.
Plug one camera in, make sure it connects, leave it plugged in, then plugin the next camera, wait until it connects then repeat the process with the next camera.

Vandoe

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Okay thank you all for your advice!

just curious though, going to sound like a child, BUT WHY?? Lol

Why is it advised to activate the NVR first, without the cameras plugged in? Just curious the difference this makes.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Activating the NVR first and configuring the basics in it simply lets the NVR "boot" with no load and doesn't present it with a power load of all the cameras and the load of all the camera data before it is completely ready. You don't start car with the transmission is drive, do you? In fact, when you start a car it disconnects everything except the engine and starter until the engine is running. Same principal here.

Last edited:

Vandoe

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thank you! It just so confusing since some videos show starting with the camera already plugged in while others don’t. And nobody explains what they are doing and why they are doing it. Just like I’ve seen some say to update right away and others don’t. Just very confusing.
But thanks you guys! Help is GREATLY appreciated