firmware in a vm

kcinick

n3wb
Reaction score
do anyone get the firmware of a hikvision nvr running on a vm, is that even posible?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
no the cameras run arm architecture, not x86.. and its going to be hardware agnostic, its going to bomb hard if you try to emulate a camera environment..

why would you want to do such a thing?

kcinick

n3wb
Reaction score
running the nvr software, not the camara, on a x86, its a lot more powerfull than an arm procesor, using QEMU to emulate the ARM processor, then running the linux distro (i thinks is a linux) that comes with the nvr on a vm, why do i wanna do that? coz i have a pcnvr (from hikvision) running on a windows vm, i would like to run the real software, the one that accept any camera, not only hikvision ones, and without buying a hardware nvr...

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
they have hardware encoders and decoders on them though, your not emulating them.

kcinick

n3wb
Reaction score
they have hardware encoders and decoders on them though, your not emulating them.
h264, it can be done with software too, the pcnvr from hikvision do it, anyway, i wanna know if someone have do it...

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
nobody's done it, good luck

my Dahua NVR has hardware h264 encoders and decoders that the NVR software has to load up.. Ive ran it manually and the very first thing it does is check and list the hardware capabilities, and it's got quite a bit of dependencies, from encoders/decoders, to watchdogs, to framebuffers for output and GPIO access, there's alot of specific kernel modules running on my NVR and none of it will work if they are not loaded.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I was going to have a stab at setting up QEMU as a potential way to mess with the NVR firmware - wouldn't it be great to have a debugger, instead of poring over disassembled code and chucking in a mod only to see it bomb?
But I didn't get very far, decided it was maybe a bit ambitious.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
If you want Windows NVR software that can use any camera, try Blue Iris. There is a trial version...

It would probably be easier to write your own NVR software than get the software from a hardware NVR running on a PC.

dvaguirre

n3wb
Reaction score
running the nvr software, not the camara, on a x86, its a lot more powerfull than an arm procesor, using QEMU to emulate the ARM processor, then running the linux distro (i thinks is a linux) that comes with the nvr on a vm, why do i wanna do that? coz i have a pcnvr (from hikvision) running on a windows vm, i would like to run the real software, the one that accept any camera, not only hikvision ones, and without buying a hardware nvr...
i386 NVR image (https://www.hikvision.com/en/products/IP-Products/Network-Video-Recorders/Ultra-Series/). The 6a6e1876-202a-4773-ae76-b883b2a7ee3b.zip give me a digicap.iav file, that I cant boot from ...

With Hikvision FIRMWARE TOOLS - change language, extract files and create own firmware I splited the iav (renamed to .dav), but no ideia what do now...

bzImage
grub.cfg
grubx64.efi
guirc.tar.gz
gui_res.tar.gz
hi3536_slave.tar.gz
new_10.bin
RSA
start.sh
webs.tar.gz

EDIT: Dahua has some x86 linux NVRs (Index of /Firmware/Rejestratory/DSS/), but I dont know that do with the .BIN files

#NVR #x86 #vmware #virtual machine

Last edited: