firmware 5.4.0 for R6 anyone tried?

Kroegtijgertje

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Got me confused too.
I am very happy with the 5.4.0 firmware.

The pulsating is normal, it's caused by the I-frame interval.
If your fps is 20 and your I-frame is 20, you would see a light pulse every second.
If your fps is 20 and your I-frame is 40, you would see a light pulse every 2 seconds.
It's all very normal.

FastCamMan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Got me confused too.
I am very happy with the 5.4.0 firmware.

The pulsating is normal, it's caused by the I-frame interval.
If your fps is 20 and your I-frame is 20, you would see a light pulse every second.
If your fps is 20 and your I-frame is 40, you would see a light pulse every 2 seconds.
It's all very normal.
My apologies guys. I had mis-read Kroegtijgertje message. In any event thanks for the very helpful information. I am going to try your suggestions and hopefully be as happy as you guys are with v5.4.0. Thanks again and sorry for the confusion.

FastCamMan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So just did some more testing and have some follow-up observations and questions. We are unable to change the I-frame interval when using H.264+ and the pulsating seems exaggerated when H.264+ is turned ON and all other parameters are left the same. The I Frame is grayed out from allowing it to be changed when H.264+ is set to ON. Anyone know why the I Frame interval might not apply or not be able to be changed for H.264+ ON?

I was able to confirm as you suggested that the pulsating is directly correlated with I-Frame value. On a positive note, I did notice that with H.264+ OFF I could use a higher "Time DNR Level" (more than 65 or so) in Expert DNR mode to nearly suppress the pulsating all together (ie you could still see it but you would really have to look hard). But with H.264+ ON the pulsating is strong and incredibly apparent even with the Time DNR Level at 100 (which also caused motion blur being that high). I wonder why this pulsating is so much more noticeable from v5.3.8 to v5.4.0 especially when H.264+ is ON?

So the question remains when H.264+ is ON what does the I Frame become or does it even apply? I tend to believe that it does apply. The "I Frame Interval" shows the last set value when H.264+ was OFF but that box containing the value is grayed out. In an effort to figure out what the I Frame becomes when H.264+ is turned ON, I set the I Frame Interval to 1 with H.264+ OFF and disabled DNR and observed very rapid pulsating as one would expect. Then I turned H.264+ ON and let the cameras reboot. I timed the frequency of the pulsating at about once every 2.5 seconds with H.264+ ON. So at 20 FPS that would indicate that the I-Frame was functionally around 50 with H.264+ ON despite the grayed out box still showing a value of 1. Then I tried the same with other values of I-Frame grayed out and it does seem that the grayed out value is irrelevant and that the I Frame becomes a static 50 with H.264+ ON. Any ideas why?

Lastly, I tend to agree with you all now that I have played around with v5.4.0 a bit more that the firmware is generally an improvement over v5.3.8 as it pertains to overall picture quality, bug fixes with regards to brightness, contrast and saturation setting conflicts (depending on if set by NVR, Web Interface or Configuration Tool) yet value numbers between NVR and Camera still are offset. Certainly WDR performance and DNR flexibility are enhanced. But for those such as us that make extensive use in high count camera NVRs where H.264+ is almost a must we will need to find a way such that the pulsating effect is reduced to an acceptable level whereas in v5.3.8 this is a non-issue.

Kroegtijgertje

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
H.264+ uses much more compression compared to normal H.264, that's the main reason for the pulsating and not being able to set value for the I-Frame interval.
The reason for I-Frame being at 50 when H.264+ is ON, is because 50 is a default value.

Last edited by a moderator:

badmannen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I see that as well when I played a bit with the settings now. I tried expert level and with about 5/20 that gives me a good fluid picture with no "blur" and finer details updated. . The first number must set how big squares it focus on for any change. So lower number gives higher details. Low number works good for daytime. But need a bit higher at night to get rid of digital noise in low light environment.

Higher number on the second scale gives me a smoother image but laggier updated

Sent from my One Plus X using tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

FastCamMan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey badmanne, After spending a few hours messing around with the expert DNR settings I concur with your findings.

Also, after a bit more testing we have found v5.4.0 to probably be the best firmware for the R6 4MP Cameras as long as you don't need H.264+. We are not really satisfied with the pulsating effects we are experiencing with v5.4.0 when using H.264+ and therefore have elected to stick with v5.3.8 for Cameras that need to perform H.264+.

Today however we received a new shipment of 64 new Hikvision Western Region Cameras with v5.4.0 installed. As some of you have mentioned, and we have confirmed, downgrading from v5.4.0 to any lower version is not working. We have tried the web interface, TFTP, and even the batch upgrade tool. Nothing works...even tried all the older versions of firmware also. The only thing we didn't do was open up the camera and solder on a serial connector (if that is even an option!). Because we intend to deploy some of those units with H.264+ we do want to downgrade them to v5.3.8 and are escalating the issue with Hikvision. I will keep you guys update if they come up with a solution or explanation as to how to downgrade for those that may feel the need.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
H.264+ over-rated IMO, no where near as good as H.265

Does 5.4.0 have more than 1 line crossing? Regret not taking my own advice and upgrading from 5.3.3 when that was working fine, so I might be downgrading again.

Can't believe you can't downgrade from 5.4.0. I guess this is to stop getting your 4x line crossing back!

badmannen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hmm true, that's a bit odd. Probably a new version will pop up soon . I deleted my file but I'm sure someone else can send it to you

Defender666

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I guess 90% will need chinese patched Firmware for their cameras :-D

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Also, after a bit more testing we have found v5.4.0 to probably be the best firmware for the R6 4MP Cameras as long as you don't need H.264+. We are not really satisfied with the pulsating effects we are experiencing with v5.4.0 when using H.264+ and therefore have elected to stick with v5.3.8 for Cameras that need to perform H.264+.

Today however we received a new shipment of 64 new Hikvision Western Region Cameras with v5.4.0 installed. As some of you have mentioned, and we have confirmed, downgrading from v5.4.0 to any lower version is not working. We have tried the web interface, TFTP, and even the batch upgrade tool. Nothing works...even tried all the older versions of firmware also. The only thing we didn't do was open up the camera and solder on a serial connector (if that is even an option!). Because we intend to deploy some of those units with H.264+ we do want to downgrade them to v5.3.8 and are escalating the issue with Hikvision. I will keep you guys update if they come up with a solution or explanation as to how to downgrade for those that may feel the need.
Same (well I didn't get 64 new cameras!). Wish I stuck to v5.3.8, actually wish I stuck to v5.3.3

Happy to test a solution. If only these cameras were H.265 too.

badmannen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
OK so one issue with this firmware seems to be with capture -> upload to ftp . If I reboot the camera it will work perfectly sending pictures via ftp for every motion trigger event. then randomly , but consistently , it stops. the motion event keep on triggering but it just stop to upload the pictures via ftp..... anyone else had the same experience?

MiniOh

n3wb
Reaction score
OK so one issue with this firmware seems to be with capture -> upload to ftp . If I reboot the camera it will work perfectly sending pictures via ftp for every motion trigger event. then randomly , but consistently , it stops. the motion event keep on triggering but it just stop to upload the pictures via ftp..... anyone else had the same experience?
Same issue here.
But only with "Schedule Settings" > "Quality" at "high". With "medium" it seems to work.

badmannen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hmm ok i will try that. Hopefully they release a new update soon

badmannen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Seems to be working as you said so far. Let's see if it's lasts 24 h that's was the issue before

badmannen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
still works, thanks for the info. pretty much the same quality on medium anyway

DarkSim

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Since I installed this version my email notifications work like sh*t. I have update my GMAL TLS settings. Test mail works fine, however line crossing works only 1 out of 10 times.
It used t be flawles. have tried with GMX also, same result. De drawing area stays black most of the time. My i2 NVR also has the same diffculties. My other non r6s cams work fine.