Firm up choices for Cam Location...detailed pics included!

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
All-

I had another thread open for my backyard cam that I am "tabling" for now until I get a chance to test out a 3mp turret that I have to see how the night image is going to be: https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/7091-Cam-Location-Pic-(2-8mm-or-4mm)?p=64371#post64371

So, I decided to move on to what I think are going to be cut and dry options for some other areas: Driveway and Front Porch

Driveway, I believe a 4mp turret in a 2.8 lens will give me good day/night time performance especially with the helper light (lamp post). My overall goal is to see cars in driveway and to keep an eye on regular door and two garage doors. See pic below and let me know what you think:

The next location is on my front porch and again I was thinking the 4mp turret in a 2.8 but also feel like I could use the 4mm to narrow the field a little. Obviously my goal is to see mainly someone coming up the steps and standing at the front door. Please let me know what you think about this one as well:
Driveway, splash out and get something like DS-2CD2342WD-I (4MP WDR) 2.8mm. You are covering a large area so need a wider angle, wider angle means less pixels per area, so you need higher resolution camera to compensate.

Rear, save some money and get a DS-2CD2332-I 3MP 2.8mm (4:3) camera. This will have the right field of view vs a 2MP camera and is plenty good enough to cover this area. Extra money a 4MP would cost would be better spend on IR illuminators or additional lighting.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Compared to the rubbish sold everywhere, no-one is going to be disappointed with any of these cameras.[/QUOTE]
Oh really? I was impressed with 3MP cams back two years ago but newer 4MP showed very little improvement and I ended up selling all of them. Perhaps next year they will surprise us.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Compared to the rubbish sold everywhere, no-one is going to be disappointed with any of these cameras.[/QUOTE]
Oh really? I was impressed with 3MP cams back two years ago but newer 4MP showed very little improvement and I ended up selling all of them. Perhaps next year they will surprise us.
I meant compared to 1000TVL analog for example or 420TVL that people recommend on other forums. It almost makes me want to cry when people are picking up kits like that for $400.

3MP cameras are still impressive, we've just come accustomed to IP cameras being this good and are getting picky!

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
I meant compared to 1000TVL analog for example or 420TVL that people recommend on other forums. It almost makes me want to cry when people are picking up kits like that for $400.

3MP cameras are still impressive, we've just come accustomed to IP cameras being this good and are getting picky!
I see. I am not that involved in other forums but here it's primarily Hikvision / Dahua that's being recommended. Personally I am sticking with 3MP cams for indoor use for a while longer, but if I had to buy new system it would have to be 4MP.

Roman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Klasipca / del-boy

Thanks for the assistance seems I am learning all the time and greatly appreciate the conversation.

Del-boy, I agree with about everything you said and have pretty much made up my mind (I think...lol) to go with 4mp for both the driveway and porch. Only difference is I am going to go with 4mm lens for both applications to narrow the view and really hone in on the entrance / doorways. I know I will miss some coverage area not going with the 2.8mm lens, especially in the driveway area but I have not had that in view with any previous cams for the past 7 years so not really a big deal for me at the moment.

With all that being said, does that sound reasonable to everyone else too?

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
I live on a corner and ordered 3 DS-2CD2342WD-I cameras each in 4mm. I also have a front door camera and a Huisun mini PTZ for license plates only. I almost forgot the ds-2cd2032 covering the side gate. Still setting things up and waiting for the DS-7608NI-I2/8P NVR to come in.

Roman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
All-

Just wanted to report back that I finally got around to swapping out old "driveway" cam for new Hik 4mp Turret. Before and after (night) shots are below:

Before: (Old Cam)

After: (New Hik)

tygger

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Night and day difference. Did you end up getting the DS-2CD2342WD-I in 4mm?

Roman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Night and day difference. Did you end up getting the DS-2CD2342WD-I in 4mm?
Yep...exactly! I also replaced the cam on my front porch and will be posting before and after pics for that one as well:)

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Rotate camera 5 degrees

Pan camera left 5 to 10 degrees so that wall is no longer in photo (I pretty much guarantee the wall isn't going anywhere or isn't going to rob you)

The image will be even better at night.

Roman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Rotate camera 5 degrees

Pan camera left 5 to 10 degrees so that wall is no longer in photo (I pretty much guarantee the wall isn't going anywhere or isn't going to rob you)

The image will be even better at night.
Thanks for the suggestion...I will try it. I just want to be sure I get the "personnel" door next to the garage doors due to that being a viable entrance. Did not want to point the cam to far to the left and miss the night shot of someone trying to get in the door on the right.

Roman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Here is the second round of "swap outs" with the front porch cam. Before and after (night) shots are below:

Before: (Old Cam)

After: (New Hik)