Finished lay Cat 5 cable

Semper Gumby

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks Fenderman, that did it!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
If your are using direct to disc remember to check you i-frames...This is from the help file
"Direct-To-Disc
Advanced users may wish to experiment with the Direct-To-Disc feature. Instead of recompressing the video for recording, an attempt is made to save the exact stream as received from the camera. This may not be used with the Windows Media container format, and only H.264 streams are appropriate for the MP4 file format at this time.
Where this technology will be invaluable is for the recording of HD and larger frame video, as recompressing these formats is highly CPU-intensive. The down-side to using direct-to-disc is that you will not be able to add graphic and time overlays such as the time-stamp. You will need to rely upon the camera to add these itself. Also, recording must begin at the arrival of a key-frame (complete image). If your camera sends these only infrequently, you may miss the beginning of some motion-activated recordings unless you also use the pre-trigger video buffer."

Semper Gumby

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Got a question about connecting POE switches together. I ran 5 Cat 5E cable runs outside. Right now I have 3 Hiks 2032 up and running and plan to buy 2 more next week. Two of the 5 runs go to my shed which is about 125 feet from my switch in the basement. Here is my question, can I get another POE switch and connect it to one of the runs to the shed (this switch would be inside the shed)? The switch I'm looking at is the TP-link 8 port POE (has 4 POE ports). This would allow me to add some additional cameras to the shed (which house my tractor and snow blower and I can not lock the shed door). Thanks for all your help.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes you can connect one switch to the other. Only thing to consider is if the first switch is only 10/100 and you are running lots of cameras off it, it may bottle neck. If the first switch is gigabit its a non issue. If the first switch is near your router then just attached the run directly to your router rather than the poe switch. So it would go from your router to the poe switch in the shed.

Semper Gumby

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks, the switch in the basement is Gigabit. I don't have the switch connected to the router in the basement. The router is a combination cable modem/4 wired switch/and wireless. I'm mostly at my computer upstairs, but can get the screen of the computer in the basement running blue iris via team viewer. Team viewer is another thing I picked up on this forum.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
perfect, you will have no issues then. i have several switches daisy chained in one location with no issues.