Semper Gumby

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I completed phase 1 of my project.
- Lay PVC 1 inch conduit for the Cat 5E cable
- Run 5 cat 5 E cables through the conduit
- Install keystone jacks on both ends ofthe 5 Cat 5e cables
- Test with network cable tester
All the above took me about 30 hours tocomplete. All the cables tested ok. Over the weekend I ordered a punch down panel(12 ports) and a wall mount bracket.

I’malso looking at a POE switch that is rack mountable. It is 12 ports runs at 1 Gbps and is 120 W http://www.amazon.com/WS-GPOE-12-48v120w-gigabit-Ethernet-Injector-passive/dp/B00ENUHQEQ/ref=pd_cp_pc_1. Anybody ever use this switch?

I originally was going to use all Hikvision cameraand Hikvision NVR, but at the rate that I’m going (not too fast), it may takeanother 6-9 months before my system is operational. So, now I’m leaning more towards a PC for theNVR with an Intel core i7-4770 processor. I now have to start thinking about what kind of software to use. I’ll probably have 5-8 cameras, probablymostly Hikvision. This has been quite aproject, learned so much from this website and a few others. Thanks for your help.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
That isn't a switch. That is a multi-port PoE injector, so it uses nearly twice as many ethernet cables as is necessary and still requires you to have a switch. You can find used rackmountable PoE switches on ebay in the same price ballpark that have 24x 10/100 PoE ports and a handful of gigabit ports without PoE (for connecting to the rest of your network). Note these big PoE switches do have fans and make quite a bit of noise. And since they are used, the fans may have already gone through a significant portion of their useful life.

Remember, gigabit speed support on the PoE ports is a worthless added expense, as one individual camera would almost certainly be unable to fully utilize a 100 Mbps connection. In fact you'd be hard pressed just to find an IP camera with a gigabit network interface.

Semper Gumby

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Semper Gumby

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That isn't a switch. That is a multi-port PoE injector, so it uses nearly twice as many ethernet cables as is necessary and still requires you to have a switch. You can find used rackmountable PoE switches on ebay in the same price ballpark that have 24x 10/100 PoE ports and a handful of gigabit ports without PoE (for connecting to the rest of your network). Note these big PoE switches do have fans and make quite a bit of noise. And since they are used, the fans may have already gone through a significant portion of their useful life.

Remember, gigabit speed support on the PoE ports is a worthless added expense, as one individual camera would almost certainly be unable to fully utilize a 100 Mbps connection. In fact you'd be hard pressed just to find an IP camera with a gigabit network interface.

Wow, you are right it is not a switch. Back to square one on POE switches. I have to rethink if I really need a rack mounted POE switch, and you are right, I don't need Gigabit speed. Thanks again.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I have one of that switch. Got it to power a PoE+ PTZ camera. I paid half that price with a newegg coupon code a couple months ago.

Here is the best value in PoE switches that I know of, though you can only power 4 devices on one of them:
http://amzn.com/dp/B003CFATT2

Semper Gumby

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have one of that switch. Got it to power a PoE+ PTZ camera. I paid half that price with a newegg coupon code a couple months ago.

Here is the best value in PoE switches that I know of, though you can only power 4 devices on one of them:
http://amzn.com/dp/B003CFATT2
Thanks for the info, I'll check newegg. The switch is POE+ which means it can handle PTZs. I need 8 ports for POE, I guess I need 1 port to run to the computer or router.

Semper Gumby

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Hey thanks for the newegg lead, they had it for $160 and also had a $30 rebate coupon, makes it about $130

Semper Gumby

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Update, found some dough, and bought some things. Got all the cable infrastructure completed and punch down on a panel. Bought a POE switch (TP Link 8 port switch). The extra dough allowed me to buy 3 Hikvision 2032 4 mm cameras over the weekend, which arrive Thurs. I also decided to go with a dedicated PC as the NVR, got a Dell XPS 8700 (i7-4790) which comes tomorrow (1 day shipping for $10) will have 12 GB of ram. Today I bought a 3 TB WD purple drive. So I am ready to get going. My only question is about blue iris, I plan to use it, but does it come on a CD or do you have to down load it? Thanks in advance.

Semper Gumby

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That is what I thought. Can you download the compressed file onto a cd or thumb drive? If you can not do that, what do you do if you have to reformat the hard drive?

Semper Gumby

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, I'm supposed to get my computer tonight, so I'll download it tomorrow.

Semper Gumby

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Well, I got a Dell i7-4770 computer last week, I ordered it Mon and gotit Tues, they had a $10 special on overnight delivery. Got 3 Hikvision 2032s on Thurs. Got 4 GB of additional RAM on Fri boosting it to 12 GB. I’m waitingon a 3 TB WD purple drive which should be here Fri. Also paid for Blue Iris but have not yetdownloaded it, I’m waiting till I install the purple drive.
In themeantime, I installed 2 cameras yesterday, and the third today. Had no problem with the SADP softwareyesterday, it picked up the 2 cams and allowed me to change the IP address tomy LAN. I was then able to see the camson my browser. This morning I startedthe SADP program and it did not show any cams, I refreshed it many times. I then uninstalled it and re-installed itcouple times and finally it recognized the cameras. All 3 cameras are up, and this Fri, I’mhoping to install the HD, Ram and install Blue Iris.

Semper Gumby

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Got the 3 TB WD purple drive today. I guess it was the brown box special, no CD, no ATA cable, no screws to secure it in the bay, no instructions. Went to the local Radio Shack they did not have them. Looked at Best Buy they had them for $10, thought that was kind of expensive. Checked with Monoprice they had them for $0.60, bought 5 of them. Probably won't get them till next Thurs. Got the 4 GB of RAM installed with no problems. I'll be waiting till I get the purple drive installed to download Blue Iris.

Semper Gumby

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
"they did not have them" sorry the "them" is the ATA cable for 60 cents

Semper Gumby

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Got the SATA cables today, and got the purple driveup and running. Downloaded Blue Iris andhad a little problem of getting it to accepting my code, but got it up andrunning. Took me awhile to get thecameras configured, but it does everything I need it to do. It’s a very impressive piece ofsoftware. I’ll be spending the next fewdays looking at the different options. Only have 1 question right now, it seems that a lot of people use the option “direct-to-disc” I can’t find it in the menus. Thanks for all your help. I plan to buy 3 more Hiks next month (2 - 6mm and a turret or a dome for the front entrance to our house).