Fine camera alignment modification of ball mount (removing teeth)

Reaction score
Has anyone else dissasembled the ball mount on Hikvision and Dahua bullet cameras and grind away the teeth from one half of the mating ball in order to gain fine-tuning camera alignment to viewing area?
When zoomed in at 12mm and beyond, I find that the engaging teeth are so coarse that I can never get my desired view aligned (up/down, left/right, and tilt). At 60mm, the teeth will step you more than the entire width of the picture away from what you are trying to capture!
I only have to grind off the teeth from one side of the two mating halves.
Anyone else do the same?
In my professional life, we use Axis cameras and they don't have teeth inside the mount for this very reason, so it allows for very fine alignment of the camera.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Has anyone else dissasembled the ball mount on Hikvision and Dahua bullet cameras and grind away the teeth from one half of the mating ball in order to gain fine-tuning camera alignment to viewing area?
When zoomed in at 12mm and beyond, I find that the engaging teeth are so coarse that I can never get my desired view aligned (up/down, left/right, and tilt). At 60mm, the teeth will step you more than the entire width of the picture away from what you are trying to capture!
I only have to grind off the teeth from one side of the two mating halves.
Anyone else do the same?
In my professional life, we use Axis cameras and they don't have teeth inside the mount for this very reason, so it allows for very fine alignment of the camera.
Before grinding and modifying the mount, I would try to put a washer or similar soft material between the 2 set of teeth and see if you can just compress it down well enough to get the results you are looking for ..

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Before grinding and modifying the mount, I would try to put a washer or similar soft material between the 2 set of teeth and see if you can just compress it down well enough to get the results you are looking for ..
That's a good idea if you have a cam with exposed joints. Haven't tried with a cam but I use something like that for fishing rod holders that are made in a similar way for the same reason. Look/work like this:

Same will be too large and teeth not right but just need some similar washer.

Bullet cams with all of adjustment in the base won't work like that.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That's a good idea if you have a cam with exposed joints. Haven't tried with a cam but I use something like that for fishing rod holders that are made in a similar way for the same reason. Look/work like this:

Same will be too large but just need something similar.

Bullet cams with all of adjustment in the base won't work like that.
FYI - posting incase Amazon item is no longer available in the future and someone is looking at this thread ..
1671476249986.png

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
Good info, and yes, it does depend if the swing bolt can pass all the way thru. The models I have won't work like that, but a correctly sized shim or washer like mat200 mentioned would save the trouble of dremel tool work if the tighening bolt is long enough to compensate for the teeth not meshing. it's only about 1.5 to 2mm tooth depth, but with a washer between, that would be a little more based on thickness of washer. I will try washer or shim on next camera mod.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Should be able to find a thin nylon washer that could be used. Don't need much or anything durable. Not going to be moving all the time or something like that.

Reaction score
Example of one cam WITHOUT mount modification.
The next tooth engagement to the right would move the car (including it's offscreen front) off to the left side of the image completely out of view. Totally useless.
East Driveway.jpg

Reaction score
I have seen others with the same issue, 36 teeth yield a 10 degree adjustment. Way too coarse! Here is pic of a Hikvision bullet. Thinking of a roughed up steel washer or nylon washer, or sandpaper disc with hole punched in it.
1671478555927.png