Finding Cams on Network?

eyal8r

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
OK- progress. My cameras are working fine. I see them directly on the NVR, as well as the web browser interface for the NVR. However, BI is not picking them up or able to connect to them. I'm at a loss here...

The cams are located on the NVR's internal network ip at:
192.168.254.2, 4, 7, 8, 9.

Again, I can see these cams via my web browser and logging into the NVR's LAN IP.

The LAN IP of the NVR is: 192.168.110.6

There's something funky with the ports. in BI, and I can't seem to figure it out. I shouldn't need to open any ports on the router, if I'm seeing the cameras by web browser, right?

What I don't get is- in BI- when I edit cam's configuration... I go to video... for the Address-
Do I use the 192.168.254.xxx address (this is the NVR's internal IP Address for that camera)
OR
192.168.110.xxx? If I use the LAN IP Address- how do I find out the exact IP of each camera? They're not listing in any port sniffer/router ip address readouts (but all my other connected devices are!)

Also in BI:
Media/Video/RTSP Port: 10554
Discovery/ONVIF Port: 8999

I went thru the Network wizard in BI- and it said it was all good to go.

Any ideas of where to go from here?

Thank you guys!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Its likely you were never pulling the stream direct from the camera but rather from the nvr itself. So select the hikvision NVR in the drop down, and change the camera number to reflect the nvr channel..enter the ip address of the NVR and the RTSP port of the NVR. The network wizard is for remote viewing and has nothing to do with your setup.

eyal8r

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
^^^ THIS WORKED!!!! ^^^ Dude, YOU ROCK! THANK YOU!

eyal8r

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Is there a better way to run it? I also have a synology NAS I could run to- not sure if that's better or not, and why it would be. I have the NVR, might as well use it, right?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Regarding finding IP cams, I've been using the FREE 'Fing' app on my iPhone for several years and it has been a great tool. They have an Android version as well but I haven't used it. Info on all versions here: Fing, the Best FREE Network Scanner and Network Security Tools . What I really like is the portability when setting up a cam or cams at someone else's house on their network and they have no documentation, no idea what the IP's and/or ports are, they pushed a reset button on the cam, etc. Most cams' default is DHCP so they get an IP from the router when powered up and I log onto the LAN's wireless network with my iPhone, scan with Fing and it finds everything on the network. When you spot what appears to be a cam you can see its IP, you then select it, scroll down to 'Scan Services' and it reveal the ports on the cam for HTTP, RTSP, etc. In the case of the Ubiquiti AirCam found in these first 3 Fing screenshot images, I find if I perform the above scan I can access the cam with URL http://192.168.1.222, as the HTTP port is 80. Of course I'll need the username & password to log into the cam via a web browser. If that login info is not available I'll need some support info on the cam so I'll know what to expect when I reset it so I can log in with default username & password, change that to a desired username & password, assign a static IP, etc. I know that the Ubiquiti AirCam, when reset, will default to static IP of 192.168.1.20 with login of ubnt/ubnt but many cams when reset default to DHCP and get an IP from the LAN and have login of admin/admin so you'll need to find that out if not known. To clarify, the 4th image is the ports revealed on a cam discovered by Fing, an Amcrest IPM-721 so its URL via HTTP with my browser would be 192.168.1.108:8888 . Many cams require Internet Explorer and you'll likely need to install the ActiveX stated in the popup as required by the specific cam. Likewise, Google Chrome and/or Mozilla Firefox will likely need an extension to access the cam. Anyway, I just wanted all to know that Fing has been a great tool for me.

fing1_small.jpg fing2_small.jpg

fing3_small.jpg fing4_small.jpg