Finally popped bobcat that was snatching my chickens...

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I debated whether to post this, but figured it highlights success, so why not. This bobcat has been poaching my chickens quite successfully for over year. I've tried leg snap traps, sitting in a blind high up in a tree, but he would never show, or was too smart for the traps.

Until technology. Yesterday I installed a PIR sensor (you can see it light up a split second before the shot).

1680001014446.png

When it triggered, it sent an RF signal to my home assistant server, which sent BI a trigger, and then a pushover notification to my phone, waking me. I didn't think I could sneak out of the house and get close enough to get him in my thermal without him hearing or smelling me.

As soon as I had a bead on him (despite it being through wooden railings and two cattle fences with chicken wire), I took the shot. It wasn't a clean hit but, the way he jumped, I'm pretty sure it made contact. The coming nights will validate whether or not he's crossed the rainbow bridge.

View attachment Dancing bobcat short.webm
View attachment Bobcat dance ATN.webm

Last edited:

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Plays OK for me. Have had problems with others posted here that play for somebody else too.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I'd post it on YouTube, but the thought police would probably hunt me down (pun intended). Don't know why it plays for some and not for others...

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
So, has the bobcat come back, or is he gone for good?
The very next night, a bobcat came back to the same spot (video of cat at coop door shows the size). It was significantly larger than the one in videos above. So I am certain it was not the same one. Fortunately, I was able to take a shot that resulted in the same type of reaction (cat jumping 6' into the air), after which it disappeared into the woods. Since then, not a trace of either of them.

I've attached a copy of the second night shooting through the thermal scope... Not particularly proud of the wildly errant follow up shots, but, with lots of adrenaline pumping, having just been rudely awoken 2 minutes prior, has that effect on my marksmanship...

View attachment Bobcat attempt 3-29 cam 122.mp4

View attachment Bobcat dance 3-29 ATN slow-mo.mp4

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Pellet rifle? What kind?
S&W M&P15-22. Shooting 22LR subsonic with a suppressor. Super quiet. Downside is, unless it's a head/heart shot, it won't be a clean kill. The suppressor will fit my AR-15 (.223/5.56) but the 3000+FPS round going down range is loud enough to wake my kiddos (and neighbors). Just too loud for after-midnight shots off the porch.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
BTW, not a cat has been back since that last shot... Hopefully it took a dirt nap, or it has decided the price to prowl is a little too steep.

d5775927

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I don't think youv'e hit any of these shots, but the Bobcat will probably not come back (until it gets dimentia)

Last edited:

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
What kind of suppressor is it?
I guy out of Ocala, FL built this one for me about 10 years ago. It's all legit - had to get a trust, do the NFA tax stamp and wait for the form 4 to come back approved - I think it took just under a year to complete the process.

It's a simple design, no Nielson device, so it'll only work on fixed barrel guns/rifles. I have another one for my 9's (PTP tactical) that does have a Nielson integrated to help my Glocks cycle.

On the 22, it works great. The report from the target and the action cycling is louder than the shot itself, so long as I'm using sub-sonic ammo. Standard 40g high velocity .22LRs still make the distinct crack sound going down range.

The 22LR and the .223/5.56 caliber are close enough to all go through the same can, so I can 'suppress' my AR15. But the 3000FPS round make so much noise from the supersonic crack, you still should wear hearing protection (especially if fired under roof).

Suppressed supersonic rounds almost don't make sense...

ETA: Pulled my trust to verify manufacturer of my 22 can. Ron Dishop Silencers

Last edited:

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I understand. Can you take it apart to clean it?

Yes to both of them. The PTP is much easier, doesn't require tools and has a single, full length aluminum baffle. The RDS is a series of aluminum cups, but requires a spanner tool to unscrew.

International784

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Cool. I think if you’re using 22s in an unserviceable suppressor, lead can build up.

garycrist

Known around here
Reaction score
Dissolve the lead build up with vinegar and H2O2. Now if you could make
a suppressor sound like the "James Bond" movies, you will be rich!