file access error "unable to open file: 80000040"

jonjonbear

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello all,
New here in the security camera/Blue Iris world. I have to Foscam cameras which I have set up and working well. The one thing I am trying to do, and can't seem to get it to work properly is to record to a network drive. I really wanted to record directly, in case my home were burglarized and the thief took the computer, the data with his pictures wouldn't go with him. The best I have been able to get it to do is to move the data to the stored folder on the network drive but when it does that, I cannot open the file. The files show up on the right hand side with the preview image but when I click the image to play that file, BI sort of locks up for a minute or two, then displays a black screen with the above error.
Reading some posts I saw where some were doing this by cloning the camera. I tried that but I cannot figure out how to point that camera to the NAS drive. On the cloned camera setup page, under record I see the folder and filename selection. The drop down gives me "new" and "stored" but no provision to select those folders on the NAS drive.
Then I have the issue that BI cannot seem to open the files once saved to the NAS drive.
Anyone have any ideas or can point me to information that might help me?

Thanks a million!

John

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Can you double check the error code? I have not seen that one. Can you actually see the files on the nas?

As far as cloning, you need to set one of your aux folders to point to nas then set the cloned camera to record to the aux folder.

jonjonbear

n3wb
Reaction score
Can you double check the error code? I have not seen that one. Can you actually see the files on the nas?

As far as cloning, you need to set one of your aux folders to point to nas then set the cloned camera to record to the aux folder.
Hi Fenderman, the error is displayed at the top of the popup video viewing window. I thought perhaps the "80000040" corresponded to a file name but it's the same each time with different files. Yes I see the files on the NAS drive, no problem, Just cannot open them. I am using the blue iris file type.
I did what you recommended as far as the cloned camera. Thanks for that tip with the aux folder.

Cheers,

John

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Can you view the files if you store them locally on your pc's drive?

jonjonbear

n3wb
Reaction score
I think I figured it out. I kept looking at the folders on the NAS drive and could see the folders and their contents but it made no sense that I could open the files and access to the folders was really slow. I then went to another machine on the network and tried to save a simple Jpeg to the same folder. It would not save to the drive. I figured there was an issue with something in the setup in the drive so I did a complete restore on the drive back to new and then re-established the folders and pointed the camera to it. Seems to be working. All this time I thought I had something wrong in the settings and it turned out to be the drive.
Thanks for your help!

John