FI8905W frame rate settings?

kwtrading

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have a Foscam FI8905W I have used around the house for a couple years without caring much about the frame rate. However I'm going to be setting it up at a remote site with limited bandwidth and would like to crank it way down to like 1 FPS.
The manual online mentions many choices that should be available under FPS in the settings but I don't see anywhere to make such adjustments. Only a place to choose the resolution on the main page.
It is running firmware 11.35.2.52
Web UI version 2.4.20.7

I know its an old basic camera but still has a use for me.

Thoughts?

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
I believe it is in the "settings" tab, click on "video" then "video settings". There you should find "frame rate" with a drop-down with choices of 1 to 30 FPS, then "save" it. This is how it is on my FI9805W but I may have newer firmware.

kwtrading

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hmm..my interface does not show these unless I am doing something wrong. I will attach screenshots of the only two pages I can see. One is the home page it goes to first when you log in (with video preview). The other is the page I go to if I click on 'Device Management' from the home page. Am I missing something?

Attachments

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
That must be older firmware. You don't see anything like frame rate if you click on the links on the left such as "users setting"?

kwtrading

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I updated the camera firmware and web interface which didn't help but think I figured out the actual problem. It's browser based. Reading the manual, it will not show the FPS settings on the main page in Chrome or Firefox. It should in IE but when I try it on IE 11 it just goes to a bing search page. I think there are ActiveX issues in later versions of IE. Maybe I have an old machine running something older.

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
I had the same issue accessing my new Hikvisions in IE. I had to copy the url from the address bar in another browser and paste it in IE to make it work, there was something more in the url following the ip address that IE needed to work.

kwtrading

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I had the same issue accessing my new Hikvisions in IE. I had to copy the url from the address bar in another browser and paste it in IE to make it work, there was something more in the url following the ip address that IE needed to work.
That did the trick. Basically all you need to do is http://x.x.x.x:port in the address bar of IE. Just add the http:// in front.
I did have to change some of the ActiveX settings under Security in IE.
So I was able to change the frame rate down to 1 FPS as I was hoping. Strange there is no 'apply' or 'save' button for that change but it appears to have taken even after a reboot.
I'm still a little confused though if someone can help me out...
The frame rate is clearly 1 FPS in the viewer in the browser, but even after the change my LiveCams Pro app on my iPhone is playing it at a variable speed typically much higher than that. Blue Iris was also viewing it at a higher rate although I was able to manually set it in there to 1 FPS as well and that is how it is now playing on there.
I thought the frame rate setting on the camera should be the dominant rate for anything connecting up to it, no? Or is it variable by whatever is viewing it?
I can't seem to control the way it plays in LiveCams Pro. Don't get me wrong, if the connection (at our cabin) ends up performing better than expected even on variable speed that's great. But I would rather it be slow and steady than fast and then freezing up. Should have it out there next week to test.

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with the iPhone apps so I can't say anything about that. Blue Iris does have an option to limit live view FPS that doesn't affect recorded FPS.