Few questions about recordings

devastator

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi,

Currently I'm only recording on motion events, but I want to switch to continuous (+ motion) recordings. I have 3 3MP Hikvision Cameras, 15 fps each.

My questions:
* I have a spare 500 GB 2,5 inch HDD from my laptop @ 7200 RPM. I suppose this is fast enough ?
* Is the pre-trigger frames still of any relevance with continuous recordings ? I've read that disabling it should 'free' some CPU cycles.

Still have to look if 500 GB is enough, looking for recordings to be kept for 2-3 weeks.

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
#1 - Yes this should be sufficient enough. I run a spare drive at 5400 rpm external to the BI server over USB 3.0 and have had no issues with it to date.
#2 - If you are recording 24/7, you don't really need the pre-trigger set to anything (I have mine set to zero recording 24/7). You might want to set it to something if for instance your make time is set to say 1 second and you would prefer the alert clips start at or before the make time. If you set the pre-trigger to zero the alert clip starts right after the make time so you might not see all of the event in the alert, but the entire thing is recorded and can be reviewed through the clip list. If that makes sense. And yes, it can save "some" CPU if you have the pre-trigger set lower, but I didn't find it made that much difference really.

The 500 GB will have to be trial/tested on your end to determine if the clips will be saved for your desired situation. There is some math that can be done to know for sure if it is enough, but Im too lazy to look myself :peaceful: