Failed to Connect Issue

MarkusAgustus

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi,

I installed my 6th camera, T544T-ZE, about two weeks ago. I've had it for a while and finally got it up. It worked great for two weeks and then starting yesterday I began having issues. When I installed it I tested the connection and it all seemed good so I did the dielectric grease, coax seal, and overlaid Super 33 for what I thought would be years of event free service. Here is the series of events starting yesterday.

1. I get the message Failed to Connect
2. I go to my switch and change the cable to another port. I waited long enough to give it time to connect but it still failed.
3. I switch it back to the 1st port. Still does not connect. I jiggle the RJ45 plug a bit and after a while it connects.
4. Today when I wake up the camera is offline again with Failed to Connect.
5. Thinking it may be a poor RJ45 connector on the switch side I replace it.
6. Tried both the 1st and 2nd ports but nothing. I waited long enough for it to connect if it was going to.
7. So I go and take the camera down. As a side note, that connection was never going to let moisture in. First time I've removed Coax Seal, etc....
8. I take the camera to my bench, hook my test cable to the switch, and the camera comes online.
9. I try the other port and it works, too.
10. I take the camera back outside, rig it up so it's hanging there, plug it in to the same original cable and it's working again.
11. I switch ports on the switch and it's still working.

What would you do now? Something isn't right but what?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What would you do now? Something isn't right but what?
You did not mention re-doing the male RJ-45 up at the camera end after cutting off the seal and 33+ so it may have been an issue with it that's good for now since you moved it around.

If it goes back to its old, bad ways soon I'd cut off 2 inches, re-do the Rj-45 male, apply dielectric grease, wrap with 2 layers of 33+ ONLY and if still good in a couple of weeks, remove the 33+ , apply the coax seal or self-vulcanizing rubber tape then the 33+.

Fingers crossed it's not the RJ-45 female on the cam's pigtail.

MarkusAgustus

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes, seems like the best approach. I'll change out the other connector, put it back up, and then monitor for a few weeks before locking it down for the long run. Hopefully it was just a flakey RJ45 connectior that I put on. Thank you.

Gargoile

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If you can bring the camera inside and use a small jumper to the camera to see if it works. If it doesn't then it's the camera, if it does , then its the copper run issue.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you can bring the camera inside and use a small jumper to the camera to see if it works. If it doesn't then it's the camera, if it does , then its the copper run issue.
He did that in step #8 according to his first post. :cool:

MarkusAgustus

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So I changed out both RJ45 connectors. To test the cable I ran another Ethernet cable from my switch to the camera, just through the house and out the door. I used an Ethernet Coupler to connect the cables at the camera and then I plugged the other two ends located by my switch into my Ethernet cable tester. Both sets of lights blinked in unison so now I know the cable is good. In retrospect, running the extra cable and using the tester should have been my first move. The camera works now so I temporarily mounted it again. I didn't use any Coax seal. Hopefully in a couple of weeks it is still running and I'll seal it for the long term. My best guess as to the problem is the RJ45 connector at my switch was faulty. I jiggled it once and it worked again, for a while.... Again, I should have ran the extra cable and did a test first. I would have immediately known if the cable\connector was at fault.

One thing I have to say about Coax seal is that once it is on a connection it makes a really good seal. Taking it off is a bit gooey but it doesn't really stick to your fingers. Once I started removing it I thought my hands would be black like tar after, but barely anything....

00Buck

Known around here
Reaction score
So I changed out both RJ45 connectors. To test the cable I ran another Ethernet cable from my switch to the camera, just through the house and out the door. I used an Ethernet Coupler to connect the cables at the camera and then I plugged the other two ends located by my switch into my Ethernet cable tester. Both sets of lights blinked in unison so now I know the cable is good. In retrospect, running the extra cable and using the tester should have been my first move. The camera works now so I temporarily mounted it again. I didn't use any Coax seal. Hopefully in a couple of weeks it is still running and I'll seal it for the long term. My best guess as to the problem is the RJ45 connector at my switch was faulty. I jiggled it once and it worked again, for a while.... Again, I should have ran the extra cable and did a test first. I would have immediately known if the cable\connector was at fault.

One thing I have to say about Coax seal is that once it is on a connection it makes a really good seal. Taking it off is a bit gooey but it doesn't really stick to your fingers. Once I started removing it I thought my hands would be black like tar after, but barely anything....
We used to do some PM's on 4160 v motors and would back wrap black tape ( sticky side out) over the connection, then black tape over that and then rubber sealing tape and black tape again. Then when you take it apart you can cut the tape loose from the connection and have a clean connection.