F-ing Spider Webs!

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
AARRGGHHH!, Dang tiny floating spider webs already this spring causing dozens of falsies!
I hate them and cannot ever figure out how to adjust setting to avoid these triggers from webs or the spider itself or other flying creatures. Using zones is useless, contract change value, no use, nor is sizing since dep on distance a moth can be a spec or look as big as Mothra destroying a city up close.
This is a turret cam (5231). I don't find a lot of difference between the amount of bugs\spiders on the turret than on one of my bullet cams. Other than paying for an AI setup to detect only people or critters, (like Sentry) or turning off on-camera IR and rigging up a separate IR light away from the camera,which would be a huge pain for me, what solutions am I left with for this nusance?

Spider Webs.jpg

Reaction score
Ha, they are usually gone by morning. I see them sometimes on my turret cams. But they are gone by morning.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I support your outbutst!!! I'm using external IR with most of my cameras, which provides a significant improvement over using internal IR, but I still get the dang things. One of my cameras has no light running within 20 feet and they still dangle in front of the lens taunting me. I use the camera's line crossing IVS function, and when a strand of the web rocks back and forth in the breeze, it can trigger every few minutes. Simple motion detection is much worse. Sometimes it can cause a continuous trigger from dusk to dawn. Solutions? Kill the spiders!:smash:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah they’re bad right now here as we completely dodged Winter this year in Floriduh. We have to take a pass each morning on the porch/lanai knocking down webs... ....
Love it!

WD-40 and a Bic lighter does a job also, although on a much smaller scale than your pictured flamethrower.....and you don't have to call 9-1-1 or replace cams, siding, soffits, spouse...HOUSE! :facepalm:

But the paraffin in it does leave a smoky black residue, darn it!

c_snyder

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I use Bifenthrin spray around my cameras and that keeps everything away for about 12 months. It's rain resistant too. Talstar P is a good product.

Nanookofthenorth

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Love it!

WD-40 and a Bic lighter does a job also, although on a much smaller scale than your pictured flamethrower.....and you don't have to call 9-1-1 or replace cams, siding, soffits, spouse...HOUSE! :facepalm:

But the paraffin in it does leave a smoky black residue, darn it!
Be honest . . . how many of you got a can of WD-40 and a lighter and gave it a try? Tell the truth! :)

Midway

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I use Bifenthrin spray around my cameras and that keeps everything away for about 12 months. It's rain resistant too. Talstar P is a good product.
I ordered some and will see how well it works, Deadly for cats and harmful to dogs so be careful.

c_snyder

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yeah i usually try to spray it during the day when the sun can dry it quickly. I spray the camera and the house around where its mounted then go back and clean off the lens with a microfiber cloth. It's good to use around foundations too to prevent ants invading the home. We have several cats so I have to watch where it goes closely. :)