EZVIZ does not work with VPN

Stev Wolf

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Not sure if this is a networking/ASUS quesion or Hikvision question. Its really both probably.

I have a number of problems with the EZVIZ app on my Samsung tablet A.
I do not have an account with Hikvision, I just use it by connecting to the network and searching for the Hikvision camera. This works when connected to my router.

In my setup i have two routers, one is the ISP the other an ASUS RT-AC66B1 with OpenVPN setup This works fine. I have port forward on for the VPN port in my first router which is my ISP's. Again this works fine.

When I login via vpn this logs me into my second router (The ASUS), However when I run the EZVIZ app on my Tablet. It does not find the Hikvision camera. (When logged in via VPN)
However, the other Hikvision app the IVMS-4500 does work. So does my Geovision app for my Geovision Camera. The Hikvision camera appears to use port 8001 to stream video. This port has been enabled on the camera, To prove this the IVMS-4500 works fine, using port 8001.
When I turn off the VPN and login to wifi locally to the second router. The EZVIZ works fine.

So the problem, to be clear is that EZVIZ does not work when using VPN, but other camera apps do work. Including other Hikvision app.

Sense that the problem is in the way that the EZVIZ searches for the camera. But I really dont know.

Can anyone give any answers to this mystery?
Regrdss

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
You made me curious so I just shut off WiFi on my phone, enabled OpenVN and brought up the EZVIZ (semi-useful) app. It connected normally but I did get the "unstable connection, lower resolution" prompt.

I think you might need to put your ISP router into "bridge" or "passthrough" mode to get things working with EZVIZ..

Stev Wolf

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank you for your response. And test. Interesting what you are staying.

I'm unclear what my ISP's modem supports. I'm also a bit frightened to change many of its settings, although I have changed some. I do use it for some devices. I also know that my isp is not knowledgeable on their router and don't support any changes from the ordinary. So I would be on my own.
The thing is, I ask myself. Why is it that other apps when VPN'ing in work fine? Doesn't VPN provide and unfiltered connection between the two devices. So nothing should be blocked. I admit that I dont know the answer I just assume that that is true.
In fact I have provided a port forward on the second router opening up port 8001 UDP/TCP just in case.
It seems that the ezvis is doing something different. IN FACT, if I use the geovision app or the IVMS-4500 on the first router, I can connect to the cameras on the second router, when I set up the app to connect t o the Wan port of the second router, and have opened the ports for the apps on the second router.
EZVIZ does something Im not clear on. I do wonder if there is a way to hardwire the IPS that it searches for. But I dont know if there is any configuration file for it.
Any bought have any other thoughts?