Eyeonet, anyone?

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm working with a general contractor to renovate my new-to-me home, and his surveillance sub-contractor has recommended a brand called Eyeonet. I can't find much information on it anywhere (including these forums), but he swears that these cameras out-perform Dahua and Hikvision significantly in real-world situations and are also less expensive. As always, it sounds too good to be true.

Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with this brand or can comment on camera model CAM-IP619E5W-28-S3?

The only link I can find is this: EYEONET 5MP IP IR Water-resistant Eyeball, 2.8mm fixed(CAM-IP619E5W-28-S3)

The specs don't look like anything special.

Thanks in advance for your wisdom!

john-ipvm

Known around here
Reaction score
Import records show Eyeonet (the company is Ameta) is supplied by Dahua, Raysharp, and TVT (the latter of which are smaller PRC China manufacturers). Relabellers often get products from multiple suppliers so it's hard to immediately ascertain which product is from which.

Contractors selling relabelled products are generally doing so to maximize markup and not due to any objective analysis of super performance.

Broachoski

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
My research provided the same info as john-ipvm stated.

Reaction score
Thank you both for the research and responses... not what I was hoping for... it definitely casts doubt on the subcontractor (and the contractor, too).

If anyone has any first-hand experiences with the relabeled product, they would still be much appreciated!

looktall

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Just remember who's paying the bills.
The contractor will install what ever you tell him to install and if he refuses then get someone who likes their job more than that guy does.

Reaction score
Ask the Subcontractor for specific model numbers for the cameras. Post them here so we can compare the specs. If they're similar to the one you post in this thread they will perform significantly worse than the Dahua 5442's or the Color 4K's

Reaction score
Yes, the contractor has agreed to install any equipment I choose. I just worry that if there are issues he'll point the finger at me. For some reason, he hates Dahua. I bought the system in my current house from EmpireTechAndy, and it's been great, except for the occasional camera drop-out. Never did figure out why that happens. The contractor offered Hikvision instead, but I wouldn't know where to begin with that brand, either.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Many of these contractors tend to try to sell cheap stuff at high profit margins.

There is currently no 5MP camera on the ideal MP/sensor ratio, yet 5MP is the common camera spec we see here with folks coming here asking about the quality of the cameras their contractor is proposing.

I agree - ask for model numbers and look them up before agreeing.

john-ipvm

Known around here
Reaction score
the contractor has agreed to install any equipment I choose. I just worry that if there are issues he'll point the finger at me. For some reason, he hates Dahua.
The contractor hates Dahua but is fine with selling you a company that relabels Dahua?

For example, Ameta, the company behind the brand Eyeonet imported 45,000+ pounds of Dahua less than 2 months ago.

1678019430284.png

Contractors often have no idea where their suppliers are getting their products from.

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes, the contractor has agreed to install any equipment I choose. I just worry that if there are issues he'll point the finger at me. For some reason, he hates Dahua. I bought the system in my current house from EmpireTechAndy, and it's been great, except for the occasional camera drop-out. Never did figure out why that happens. The contractor offered Hikvision instead, but I wouldn't know where to begin with that brand, either.

Echoing what others have already mentioned... let the contractor install the needed infrastructure and equip, then apply your experience/knowledge to the video system. The discussion has happened on IPCT many times regarding the basic level of effort applied to video systems installed by many (not all) contractors. I have experienced it myself where they don't do much more than install, aim and focus then ask for a signature on the completion paperwork. The average homeowner is none the wiser because they do not know what they don't know.

Have you considered getting a detailed plan from the sub to see exactly what equipment he is intending on placing, and where?

Reaction score
The last time I did this I had them do the runs and mounting, but I bought and supplied the equipment. I was hoping my new contractor would be better at this than I am, since they have done so many more houses.

I have asked for the detailed plan, but have not yet received it. I am quite off-put by the idea of using the same camera everywhere - that just doesn't make sense to me.

What I was hoping to avoid was to supply the cameras myself - if the system doesn't perform, he can turn around and say it was my fault for choosing the wrong equipment, rather than the design or installation. I'd much prefer "one throat to choke".

But the consensus is clear - Eyeonent is out!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So what does he say when you use his supplied cameras and ask why you can't IDENTIFY someone 40 feet away with the 2.8mm fixed lens camera he provided LOL...

Any installer insisting on using the same camera for every location clearly is out for the quick buck.

It is clear this guy is a trunk slammer looking for a quick install with cams he can get cheap and mark up. He will simply let everything run on auto/default settings.

Supply your own cams and take out the middle man and get the quality you want.

If you are concerned about his installation and that the connections are done properly, have him use one of his cameras connected to each location to prove the installed cable works.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yep, I agree with the others.
Stick with what you know, apparently that is more than the "installer" knows. :)
That camera you linked would be terrible at night.
2.8mm lens would only get you a face id, out to around 10ft. Further than that, all bets are off.
The same camera all around almost never works out, each camera needs to be chosen for it's intended purpose.
If it were me, I'd tell the surveillance contractor to bug off.
Are you able to pull ethernet wires yourself?

Reaction score
Thank you all for the advice! I'll be skipping his cameras and getting Color4K-T's and T5442's, mostly at 3.6mm so I can get a bit more range in exchange for a smaller FOV.