External IP66 / IP67 microphone for Dahua cameras?

war4peace

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am looking for a good, compatible microphone which can be connected to Dahua cameras.
Camera models I own:

1. DH-SD3E405DB-GNY-A-PV1 (it has a microphone, but even with sensitivity at 100% it's pretty low quality)
2. IPC-HFW5442E-SE (no microphone)
3. IPC-HFW3841E-AS-0280B (has a decent microphone, I might not need to use an external mic on this one, but if there's a better one, why not)

In my infinite wisdom, I bought a Dahua HAP201 which of course is not IP66 /IP67, and can't be used externally.
All cameras above are powered via PoE+. It is not possible to run extra power for the microphone alone, not without financial investment which exceeds the cameras' values.
All cameras are external, therefore the microphone needs to be weatherproof.

Thank you!

war4peace

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I and others use this one and like it.
Microseven IP Cameras

Any microphone that works with the cameras needs to be powered. The most common method is to use a POE splitter at the camera location. Make sure the camera has an external mic input.
The cameras all use PoE+ which is 50 to 57V DC. Pretty sure using a PoE splitter on such a microphone will make it go up in flames.

It's also about PoE splitter, wouldn't PoE+ fry it instantly?

My DH-SD3E405DB-GNY has the following ports:

Port
  • Audio Input 1 channel (LINE IN, bare wire,built-in mic (mutually exclusive))
  • Audio Output 1 channel (LINE OUT,bare wire;built-in speaker (mutually exclusive))
  • Alarm Linkage Capture; recording; send email; preset; alarm digital input; audio; warning light
  • Alarm Event Motion/tampering detection; audio detection; network disconnection detection; IP conflict detection; memory card state detection; memory space detection
  • Alarm I/O 1/1
  • Audio I/O 1/1

I guess these bare wires, as well as the Audio I/O and Alarm I/O are unpowered? The documentation is unhelpful in that regard.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
The cameras use 803.3at or 802.3af POE. I'm sure there are exceptions, but almost every POE splitter you will find is going to be compatible with one or both of these standards. If the microphone needs 12 volt power, you need a POE splitter with a 12 volt output, which you will likely need to also feed to the camera's 12 volt power port, because most of the splitters do not pass the power out through their network output port. There are some that do pass the POE power through to the camera, and they make the wiring simpler, so you have to make the cost vs. benefit decision.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The cameras all use PoE+ which is 50 to 57V DC. Pretty sure using a PoE splitter on such a microphone will make it go up in flames.
Some microphones can be used in a passive mode without power. Mics that work better have amplifiers / filtering and require power.

A PoE splitter is a device that takes the PoE power out of the line and provides a regulated outpuit of say 12V (some are adjustable or have multiple outputs). Powering a power hungry PTZ this way could be challenging but may be possible.

The microphone doesn't need much power, one could in theory make a circuit that siphons a small amount of power from the PoE and drops it to a regulated 12V. There's only so much current you could get away using before the switch gets mad.
In my infinite wisdom, I bought a Dahua HAP201 which of course is not IP66 /IP67, and can't be used externally.
If it has some protection under an eave or soffit it might work. Worst case you could use it until it breaks.

guykuo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I mod the cameras to back feed 12 volts OUT of their 12 volt input for the Microseven. That lets the camera do the voltage conversion from POE and provides a handy 12 volt output. The mics pull very little power.
Course, that will probably void your warranty and you also break the water tight seal. Others have also done so by simply bridging a back feed blocking diode. I was a bit more cautious and limited output draw.

war4peace

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If it has some protection under an eave or soffit it might work. Worst case you could use it until it breaks.
No, it's aplastic box with holes, meant to be used inside a room. And I'd rather not risk the mic shorting out due to humidity or water and taking my camera with it :)

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
And I'd rather not risk the mic shorting out due to humidity or water and taking my camera with it :)
I think that's relatively unlikely, but no guarantees. Water in the ethernet connector is more likely (use dielectric grease).

war4peace

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
easy enough if you make a custom PCB.
I think we're moving further and further away from a simple, plug-in solution.
Many recent PoE cameras have all sorts of connectors and bare wires sticking out of them, however it seems all those are all-but-useless without an external power source, which makes PoE less appealing.
Maybe I'm naive, having hoped there was a plug-and-play option for an external microphone out there.
Interestingly, the only Hikvision camera I own (DS-2DE2A404IW-DE3) does have a 12V power output (12V, 60 mA) which can be easily used to connect an external microphone. Even more interestingly, the built-in microphone from that camera is excellent and captures sounds very well.
Seems like Dahua branded cameras don't have that option, unless one is willing to make heavy modifications to them.

Oh well, I have a couple more cameras to buy, now I know which brand to get :)