External Control of Profile based on Weather

MickPB

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm rather happy with BI with one execption. Kansas weather is not well adapted to the MD for BI. I'd like advice on changing the weather or alternatively to know of any scripts or external processes that might be shared to change profile. I have access to pretty accurate weather data in Openhab and the ability to send / receive MQTT messages. Looking for any code that might be around that could be used as an example to change profile when it rains / snows. Or if possible that I could schedule rain / snow-- ha

TIA

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Look at BI's built-in "Help" (the big ? up at the top), toward end under "Administration", "HTTP Interface", beginning on page 164. Look up commands to change profile.
One such command is :

/admin?profile=x&lock=y. Set the active profile to x. Use x=-1 to toggle the lock status, or set the lock=y, 0=run, 1=temp, 2=hold

MickPB

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip. I was able to do this with OpenHAB via HTTP and MQTT. Giving HomeAssistant a go now but haven't advanced to the MQTT controls and expect to avoid them based on testing MQTT with BI. I have found thought that changing the on camera detection from motion to line crossing has addressed the rain issue. However now that the trees are getting leaves and the sun is much more direct shadows have become an issue as well. I've also learned to accept that not every motion or line crossed needs to be reviewed if they are kept long enough. I think longer term object detection and AI will rule the day but for now leaving that to the braver and bolder.