External cabling to camera junction box -security

toastie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I suppose ideally cables from a wall mounted camera should exit from the back of a junction box to pass through the wall, this isn't an option for my next camera. I want at least one of my cameras not to be discrete, for its deterrent value.
My plan is to use white plastic flexible conduit from the junction box, then up to pass through the soffit, cables going onwards to the network switch.

The conduit is plastic, the cables copper and the height above ground reachable with a pole.

Has anyone had any issue (cables being cut) with this arrangement? Might I be just a bit overcautious?

GCoco

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You should have enough cameras covering the area to catch anyone attempting to disable a camera. In other words, overlapping fields of view.

Mr_D

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I think being out of arm's reach would be enough to deter most. But why not use metal conduit instead of plastic if you're concerned?

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
It seems like most crooks would go after the camera itself first. But I'd still look into at least the standard plastic conduit rather than the flexible "corrugated" stuff if I was worried.

Unless you can reach the conduit easier than the camera, I'd expect the camera to be the target. But as mentioned above, it's good to have cameras that protect each other, and you might also need to be able to see someone in the area where they could reach the conduit.

There's always rigid steel conduit. That stuff is tough! :)

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Maybe put a 2nd cable to the box.
And it would be Cat5. Naked. No conduit.
The bad guy might cut that cable. And leave the other.