Explanation of the motion detector settings?

newitguy

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,
I was using 4.0.x and motion detection was ok; only a few false alarms but since I updated to the latest version, I am getting tons of false positives... small motion/light changes just trigger the alarms.

There are a lot of new settings in the motion detection... can someone explain each configuration?
In object detection,
  • what is object travels?
  • what is object crosses zones .. how to use it?
  • what is reset detector when object size exceeds?

there were no such settings in 4.0.x

And I have one question.. is it possible to fine tune the object detection or min size object setting per zone?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi,
I was using 4.0.x and motion detection was ok; only a few false alarms but since I updated to the latest version, I am getting tons of false positives... small motion/light changes just trigger the alarms.

There are a lot of new settings in the motion detection... can someone explain each configuration?
In object detection,
  • what is object travels?
  • what is object crosses zones .. how to use it?
  • what is reset detector when object size exceeds?

there were no such settings in 4.0.x

And I have one question.. is it possible to fine tune the object detection or min size object setting per zone?
The help file explains the settings...you cannot set them per zone..You would need to clone the camera and set a distinct setting (you can hide the clone so you dont see double on the main display)...

newitguy

n3wb
Reaction score
ok thx will check the help file and thx for the clone tip; was thinking about doing this but won't it consume double resources?

newitguy

n3wb
Reaction score
I have read the help file.. one thing is still confusing for me:

"Because objects are only detected in areas covered by at least one zone, you don't want to leave masked "gaps" between zones when looking for objects crossing zones. Overlapping the zones is not ideal either because the object may originate in the overlapped region and will never be detected as crossing. One way to configure this would be to use zone A as a mask, excluding areas that you do not want to monitor at all. Then, setup additional zones B and C that are part of A, and look for object movement between B-C. This way, B and C do not have to be touching or overlapping whatsoever."

I don't understand why do I need zone A. When I configure object crossing 2 areas; detection will be done only when there is crossing right?

Is there a way to trigger if there is motion in zone A OR there is object crossing from zone B to C? or do I need to clone the camera?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Is there a way to trigger if there is motion in zone A OR there is object crossing from zone B to C?
Yes, but if you set zone A as a fully triggered zone you defeat the purpose of zone crossing...
You can set zone D if you wish for example, but your because there is only a single threshold setting you will run into issues....
The best way to setup recording and alerts is to have cloned cams...then simply have a low threshold standard motion detection setting applied to the recording cameras. Apply line cross to the cloned non recording cameras...you will not get accurate alerts but not risk missing any motion...

newitguy

n3wb
Reaction score
clone cams do not seem to work well with the android app.. hidden cams are shown on the app.. so I have cameras live view in double... and viewing clips gets confusing

anijet

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
In the Android app settings you can choose to hide disabled and hidden cams.