Excessive Email Alerts

bohemian

n3wb
Reaction score
For some reason my Blue Iris instance is now sending me email alerts pretty much every hour in this form:

Clips: 64 files, 88.4G/331.0G; D: +3.55T 2017-05-19 9:56:08 AM Clips: MoveFile 58: D:\BlueIris\New\Back.20170514_160332.bvr (170) 2017-05-19 9:20:23 AM Phil: WAN IP Address: Logout, 3:47 (1) 2017-05-19 9:16:36 AM Server: Connected: 184.68.162.134 (0) 2017-05-19 9:15:59 AM App: Console: connected (0)​

For each of my cameras, on the 'Alerts' tab, the 'Send an email message' checkbox is unchecked. On the 'Status Alerts' dialog, I do have email notifications set but for new Warnings only.

This wasn't happening until recently, although I cannot tell if the change in behaviour was tied to the recent 4.5.6.2 update. I running BlueIris as an x64 service if that helps.

Can anyone offer some suggested paths to troubleshoot what's going on here? Since I'm running BI headless on its own physical server, I would like to get email alerts if something serious is wrong with the system as opposed to barrage of useless (to me) info I'm getting right now.

bohemian

n3wb
Reaction score
Responding to move own post, the issue seems to be with 'movefile' events from New to Stored. I have not idea why I'm getting alerts and the BlueIris logs are pretty much useless for any level of detail.The storage I'm moving clips to has over 4TB free, so there's no issue there. Any clues out there?

bohemian

n3wb
Reaction score
Well, the problem above went away when I turned off free space monitoring for my "Stored" folder which is on a NAS. At least is worked just fine for several months until the same issue came back again. So I dug a little deeper.

It turns out that BI appears to be sending me alerts because of (presumably) issues with moving files from "New" (local SSD storage) to "Stored" (NAS storage). Space is not an issue (I have terabytes free), I'm using a valid UNC path and, if I right click on one of the clips that appear to be alerting, I can move it to stored via the "Move" sub-menu item. But BI seems incapable of moving the files automatically. The only change I am aware of since this worked properly was whatever updates BI has been installing since that time.

I'm running BI as a Windows service using a named user account that has access to the NAS share. I can move the files using Windows, I can move the files via a right click in BI, but BI can't seem to move the files itself. As usual, the alert itself is not particularly informative - a yellow dot with and exclamation mark but not indication of what the underlying error actually is. I have blindly tried things like regenerating the database, but to no avail.

Can any of the BI experts suggest some ideas on how I can debug this (short of turning all alerts off)?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, the problem above went away when I turned off free space monitoring for my "Stored" folder which is on a NAS. At least is worked just fine for several months until the same issue came back again. So I dug a little deeper.

It turns out that BI appears to be sending me alerts because of (presumably) issues with moving files from "New" (local SSD storage) to "Stored" (NAS storage). Space is not an issue (I have terabytes free), I'm using a valid UNC path and, if I right click on one of the clips that appear to be alerting, I can move it to stored via the "Move" sub-menu item. But BI seems incapable of moving the files automatically. The only change I am aware of since this worked properly was whatever updates BI has been installing since that time.

I'm running BI as a Windows service using a named user account that has access to the NAS share. I can move the files using Windows, I can move the files via a right click in BI, but BI can't seem to move the files itself. As usual, the alert itself is not particularly informative - a yellow dot with and exclamation mark but not indication of what the underlying error actually is. I have blindly tried things like regenerating the database, but to no avail.

Can any of the BI experts suggest some ideas on how I can debug this (short of turning all alerts off)?
you dont have to disable all alerts...just disable status alerts....

bohemian

n3wb
Reaction score
Fair enough, but I'm running this headless and would actually like get legitimate warnings just in case. Otherwise I'd live with the spurious messages and turn off any email alerts.