Exacq data point - 29 IP cameras at 81 MP on an i5

Razer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Just sharing a quick data point on an install I just completed last week using Exacq as my NVR software. After install I have been monitoring the system and thought I'd share the results with you guys as we all love fun info right?

This install has 29 IP cameras, 25 of them are 3mp Hiks (LTS), one 4 channel Hik analog encoder, 2 4mp ACTi cameras, and one oddball Hik 4mp camera that somehow slipped in the box when I sent it down for install lol. Some cameras are running at resolutions other than native though, so I have 21 3mp cameras, one 4mp, and 7 in 2mp mode for a grand total of 81 MP of video streaming into the NVR. Most cameras are at 8fps with a few at 10 and one at 12 fps.

The CPU is an i5 4590 3.3ghz and there is 4mb of ram, running Windows 10. Samsung SSD for OS and 8tb of WD Purple for video storage. The computer runs a rotation of 4 cameras at a time non stop so cameras are on screen all the time which increases CPU usage, but even with that my CPU usage is right at 40%. Spikes for a second when switching to other cameras up to like 47% and can be seen as low 33% so I'm just going to say average of 40% give or take a percent or two.

Overall seems like it running like a champ, it is also hosting the Exacq web page host and that is running in the background too, and I am VNC connected into the machine to get these readings. I have several getting in the 30 camera range now and my results are consistent. I am setting up a 27 IP camera install on a i3 with 3gb of ram as it will not need to run the client locally and will be fine as an i3 I'm sure. I have to say I love not having to worry about my hardware with Exacq, it is not for home users due to costs and BI is a better solution but I think for large rollouts the cost of Exacq is worth it for not having any big hardware needed and the resulting reliability/featureset is what I specifically need.

Just thought the numbers were interesting and wanted to share! :)

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, very interesting. Blue Iris is catching up with Exacq thanks to Intel Quick Sync Video (though I doubt it will ever match or beat Exacq's efficiency).

For example on my i7-3770k running these cameras in Blue Iris:

If my count is correct that is about 63 megapixels averaging in the ballpark of 8 FPS. Kind of hard to average that when the 10MP cams are running at such a low FPS.

Anyway running as a service (console/GUI closed) it averages about 21% CPU usage. Open the console to view all live streams in a grid at full frame rate on a 2560x1440 monitor, and CPU usage jumps to about 38% average. This rise is because Blue Iris is quite inefficient at actually drawing the video. At a lower resolution or lower frame rate, the CPU overhead of having the GUI open can drop to only a few percent. At a higher resolution like on a 4K monitor, it skyrockets to 60-70% or higher depending on the graphics adapter being used!

So I figure the same load on an i5 would use around 40% CPU with the GUI closed. And your camera load there is significantly higher so the same 81 MP load in Blue Iris with the GUI closed would probably be over 50% CPU on an i5, and with the GUI open I bet you would have to run with a reduced live preview frame rate to keep the system afloat. :)

vincenttor

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Prices are crazy if you compare it to blueiris.
and not to talk about the annual fees, and when you missed them for a couple of years but want to update .
That they dare it to charge those ridicules figures.
But it seems that it is very cpu friendly indeed, still the figures look more then good on BP2008 his system !!

Razer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
QuickSync has made a major impact on BI and I'm very glad to see the improvements that have been made in the software recently that is for sure! Impressive gains in a pretty short time for anyone.

Pricing on Exacq is not bad when you look at it from a business perspective - also I do not need to stay up to date on the software, there is nothing coming out of the updates I need so I just let them expire and so far it has been fine. Also for the really big systems I am saving a ton by being able to use a basic 1k NVR and not spending 3k on a system to run my software. I spend that on the software instead and like our results so far. $100 per camera seems high, but for what we need and what Exacq can do for us we are very pleased with it but it is decidedly not for everyone and I'm fully aware of that.

For me there are not many options - I need one client PC to be able to see 100 remote locations over multiple states for example. BI will never be my solution lol, but I recommend it to others all the time when asked what to do for home. I like to share the info on here for other business installers and people who need to setup installs like Exacq is needed for so the info is out there when people are searching for information. Most home users will never know about or use it, but it is good to know for those that need the information!

vincenttor

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I understand and i did not answer in a bad way, was not my intention.
But like you say indeed for home users it is way to much when using for fun 14 cams x 100 x the license.
After a while you probably get the costs out of your system when looking into energy usage figures and cost per kwh, since the computer can be much less power hungry with exacq sofware.
That is as far i can judge from the short google searching i have done.
But who knows that BI will be in a few years as efficient as exacq or another discovery has been made and more affordable for home/hobby solutions.

And i do appreciate the numbers, that's what we are all looking for to have a bit of comparison !
Nothing is as annoying when you see only a answer with my system runs fine or whatever.

Razer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I understand and i did not answer in a bad way, was not my intention.
Oh don't worry at all, I did not think you were answering in a bad way at all so no worries there! :)

I just wanted to explain why the pricing while high in some cases (personal cameras for home user for example) it also make total sense in other cases. When looking at business/enterprise level software they are in line to inexpensive to some other options. If nothing they they are much more flexible in camera brands, and in moving and changing out cameras than others too. Lots of options out there that is for sure!