Ethernet over power lines

GH75

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
got a situation in a house where I need to install multiple cameras and can not hardwire.

Is ethernet over electrical a realistic option? I saw something about being on different legs but that doesnt matter to me. My switch and NVR will be next to the panel so I can pull a circuit from each leg.

How do you get POE to power the camera? separate injector?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
you dont get PoE, you have to power it via brick or something after the remote powerline adapter.. Ive seen some powerline adapters that output PoE but they were very expensive for what they did.

it can be hit/miss, I would suggest buying a pair of the highest speed adapters you can afford and then test them out before investing heavily in it.. if you do it through a big vendor returning them if they dont work at all should not be that big of a hassle.

If your circuits are split across separate legs you might need to run 2 separate powerline networks and bridge them at the switch or do some google fu, there are devices you can install in the breaker that can allow the signals to pass between legs.

If its a modern house then they tend to work pretty well, if its an older house they dont.. it comes down to the circuit box, wires, fixtures, etc.. if your running alot of fluorescent lighting you'll want to replace those spirally CFL's with LED bulbs to clean up your power or just forget getting decent results.

GH75

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
cab 1a.jpg

cab 2.jpg
These are two of the locations I am trying to put cameras so I do not have alot of room for tons of equipment. I guess I can add a POE injector

As I understand it doesnt matter if the devices are on different circuits, just legs. But even that doesnt matter. Since the NVR will be next to the panel, I can add outlets on both legs. I can even add an outlet on the same circuit from the panel.

rnatalli

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It's hit or miss, but I have had luck with powerline in my house. Use the newer AV2 MIMO adapters. You can get those with plug in passthrough and simply plug an injector into the powerline adapter itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Avareh

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You may consider other options than PowerLine too, I have been using for almost 3 years 2 set of LinkSys PLSK400 adapters to transfer ethernet signal over a 3-stories house since I also had no option for additional (UTP) wiring. Initially it was meant to transfer IP signal for Interactive TV's but one certain thing is that the electrical wiring can still mess up your plan.

It is very important that you also avoid electrical junction boxes and connect the Powerline adapters directly to the wall outlet. Even that is nat a guarantee you get the best performance, in my case few outlets were exreremly slow: 1.5MB/s for upload while I had a 40MP/s Internet subscription. I was told that these adapters perform the best only if the outlets (and corresponding wiring) were installed on the same circuit which absolutely was not in my case. In my house there I have up to 7 different circuits/switches ...

Anyway, after a lot of trial/error I found a few suitable outlets for connecting these adapters still speed was not optimal. Also you have a risk of adapters getting confused (since I had 4x at home) and needed occasionally to reset them. It is hell of pain when you're watching TV and in the middle of some interesting movie scene you have to come downstairs just to reset the main adapter )-:

The worst part started when I tried to uses these adapters for transmitting video of my IP-camera's: extremely slow netwrok speed, a hell off dropped frames, freezing recorded motions, ...

I solved most of issues by adding other type of adapter to my home network: 3x MoCA switches. These type of switches use coaxial wiring to transfer both TV and Ethernet signal in your house, which are 2 or 3 times more expensive than PowerLine adapters but based on my experience are much faster and much more stable for RTSP (also much less packages being dropped).

I am using now one of my PowerLine sets to transfer data from 3 IP camera's and use 3x MoCa switches (Hirschmann moka 32) for 2 other IP-cams including TV signal for 2 rooms plus connecting 2 PC's and 2 laptops at home. I see in one of your photo's a TV bracket on wall, you may also consider MoCA switch for your wiring there!