"Error Importing Registry Key 5"

revbilly

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm running BI on Windows 10. I lost a hard drive and had to reinstall OS from scratch. I did a fresh install of the newest version v4.8.4.7 x64. I was running an older iteration of v4 when the drive failed. Now I'm trying to import settings from an older sub-version of BI 4, but I get the error message "Error importing registry key 5" as soon as I select the file. I've tried a couple of different backup files with same result, so I don't think it's a corrupted backup file.

I still have access to most of what was on the failed drive. Assuming I have to install the version I was running at the time in order to recover my settings, how can I determine what specific version I was running by looking at the file dates? And where can I find the older versions?

revbilly

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Is there nobody here that can help me figure out my problem with restoring config from backup?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Installing an older version will likely not help. How are you trying to restore from the backup?

If those backup files you have can't be restored, there may still be a way. If you have the Windows folder from the failed drive, you can open its registry like this: Accessing Another Windows Computer’s Registry from a Disk in Windows 8.1 and then export "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Perspective Software" and import it into your new registry.

revbilly

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Installing an older version will likely not help. How are you trying to restore from the backup?

If those backup files you have can't be restored, there may still be a way. If you have the Windows folder from the failed drive, you can open its registry like this: Accessing Another Windows Computer’s Registry from a Disk in Windows 8.1 and then export "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Perspective Software" and import it into your new registry.
I start the new version of BI and enter my license code. License cod accepted. I click on the Options icon in the upper left corner and choose Import Settings and select the BlueIris.reg file. As soon as I select the file I get the error I described.

I don't like to play with the registry, but if that's the only way to avoid manual configuration I'll try it.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
You can try double-clicking the reg file outside of blue iris to see if Windows knows how to import it any better. But you'll probably get the same result.

When Blue Iris backs up its configuration, it uses uses a very strange export format which is not human-readable, and therefore the chance of finding and being able to fix Registry Key 5 (whatever that is) is slim.

revbilly

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Circumvented the problem by starting Windows 10 in "Safe with Networking" mode (Not as easy as it used to be) and then importing the .REG file. When I did that, it caused BI to crash, but after starting back up in normal mode, the configuration details were restored. After that I was able to restore backups of specific cameras, which produced the error message, but seemed to work.

Mr-Gizmo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You can try double-clicking the reg file outside of blue iris to see if Windows knows how to import it any better. But you'll probably get the same result.

When Blue Iris backs up its configuration, it uses uses a very strange export format which is not human-readable, and therefore the chance of finding and being able to fix Registry Key 5 (whatever that is) is slim.
bp2008, is there any chance that the import problem may be a permission issue on the "a1" registry key in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Perspective Software\Blue Iris\?

KSb

n3wb
Reaction score
I had this same problem. error importing registry key 5

I did the windows 10 boot in safe mode, msconfig to check boot-safe mode
ran BlueIris (ver 4) and imported my BI settings. closed BI (or it crashed?) reopened BI and ALL cams and settings listed. while I was in safe mode (no networking)
I used msconfig to uncheck boot-safe mode, restarted and all camera are working, settings for BI as well.

I tried to import a working cam.reg file but I get the same error. There must be a registry lock setting (maybe Win10 user control?) I do not see any a1 registry entry.

Note: I upgraded from a Win7 PC to Win10 PC but stayed on BI 4 for this PC. I have a dif Win10 PC that never had the import issue. However, that PC upgrade from BI 3 to BI 5.

Finally a great Safe Mode use!
Thank you everyone!!!

bpratt

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm experiencing this issue myself.

upgraded to v5, did the uninstall of v4, started up and all is lost.

So having saved my reg stuff when I first started up v5, I went to import it all, only to get this issue.

Really disappointing to experience this issue knowing how long v5 has been out for.