ePoE Switch to PoE Switch - 700 feet Run

Captain_B

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I am looking at running 700-feet of Cat 6 direct burial cable through the woods from one ePoE switch located at the office where the NVR is located and down to the second location into a PoE switch where I have (2) 4MP cameras located. I have tried 2 different sets of Ubiquiti Nanostations M5 but found when I transmit from my ham radio tower it permanently damages their ability to transmit/receive. The question I have is this possible, switch to switch, and second, what would you recommend for the best switches for the job? Any other suggestions or advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
328ft is the max recommended length for a cable run, you're either going to have to run segments with a switch after each 300ft run but then you'd need power at these points or have a look at running fibre. Not an expert in fibre runs so beyond that can't say.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I'd go with fiber assuming there is power at the far end. Electrical isolation can be fairly important.

I'd guess you overload the front ends of the M5s to the point of letting out a little of the magic smoke when you transmitted. Out of curiosity what band(s) were you working when that happened and at what power levels and mode?

Captain_B

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Sebastain, I was on 80-meters (3.573 mhz) running around 1,500 watts and the mode was FT8. There is power at the far end and I have no knowledge of running fiber so I was hoping to use Cat6 and ePoE from the office to the PoE switch located 700 feet away at the far end and then power the cameras from that PoE switch. Any suggestions?

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
bite the bullet and get somebody to run Fiber?
What about the 2.4 Ghz Nano's? i'm running a pair of them. No HAM though :)
I wonder if that Freq might be less susceptible to your radio?

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
700 feet is easily in the ePOE spec so that in itself should be a non-issue. My questions would be if the far end device can be a switch, and if so, does it need to be an ePOE switch? In all the ePOE diagrams I've looked at, the far end device has always been a camera. Just running 2 cables would be an option if the cameras are ePOE. Or maybe something could be done with the EoC coax devices? Dahua obviously wants you to have a camera at the end of the ePOE cable. The question is if it will work with a non-camera device.

Griswalduk

Known around here
Reaction score
I googled fibre optic cable and found out you can buy them different lengths and terminated already. I think you just put a fibre modem at each end. Some switches have the ability plug in a suitable modem / card in to a built in sfp port.

If you do a bit of research it might not be too bad..

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Re: epoe switch end point.
Good question.
Because a direct cam would have to transmit back to the 1st switch which would require an epoe camera. so yeah, good question. I'm thinkin your gonna need 2.

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
forget epoe... epoe is marketing

why?

epoe.PNG

if you really want to run gigabit over 200m , you can just run it , i dont see any problems.
if you want to be safe, you can use a gigabit extender or what it is in reality: dumb switches connected together
so just add a switch after 100m..
switch -> 100m -> switch -> 100m -> switch

Last edited:

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
You've got to be throwing some serious harmonics working 80 meters but that's the max power.

I'd go with fiber, multi mode would be fine I think. You can buy it pre-terminated to match the connectors on the fiber modems/converters or whatever the switches might have if they support fiber. I'd use an outdoor or direct burial fiber. Just treat it a little more gently that copper cable and be careful with the connectors.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Given this is for uplinking the data between the two switches no problem spanning that 700 feet distance with direct burial CAT-6 shielded cable. If this was to provide POE to span the 700 feet you can install a direct burial POE Extender midway.

Given the distance as others noted and the fact you have 120 VAC on both ends. It’s safer and better to run optical fibre via a media adapter.

Going this route 100% negates any RFI, EMI, and lightning. If critters are even a remote problem both types of cable should be installed into a conduit of sufficient diameter.

If I was going through all that effort I’d pull fibre, CAT-6 Shielded, and possibly 18-2 wire for 12 VDC. Since 120 VAC is present that’s a judgment call if 18-2 is worth the time and expense.

Good luck!

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
18/2 would have a total resistance of almost 9 ohms over a 700 foot cable, 4.47 ohms per leg. Not really very effective. 16/2 or 14/2 would be OK though.

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Sebastain, I was on 80-meters (3.573 mhz) running around 1,500 watts and the mode was FT8. There is power at the far end and I have no knowledge of running fiber so I was hoping to use Cat6 and ePoE from the office to the PoE switch located 700 feet away at the far end and then power the cameras from that PoE switch. Any suggestions?
What the heck were you trying to reach with that much power into FT8? Mars? :eek: :oops: :wow:

For the non-hams: FT8 is a digital mode normally used in lower power modes. As in 100 W or less. Getting to Russia from the est coast on 20 W is not difficult in FT8. I think I've gotten to Australia on FT8 with 60 watts. The digital modes like FT8 are far more efficient than voice or even CW (Morse code).

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
I have never went over 10 watts on FT8. Since I got an Icom 705, it is the "data" radio, and the 7300 is the yak radio. :cool:

I would go fiber! I did between my house, shop, and shack. It took away all of the missed frames on cameras, and
I have internet even while running 1kw on HF. The coax to ethernet would not cut it with HF power around them.
Ubiquity worked, but I needed the bandwidth for my long hops.

I have stretched cat 5 with a repeater in the middle.

Captain_B

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I know nothing about fiber but it sounds like it is the $hit. My application is laying it in the woods above the ground, no burial due to way to many tree roots so I need the cable to be tough like direct burial Cat6. There is so many types and ends to choose from I'm not sure where to start. Any suggestions on the type of Fiber cable to run from one switch and or modem to another switch and or modem and the type of ends needed on the fiber and any suggestion on the switch and/or convertor so I can use my RJ45 connects from the cameras? Thank you for your help.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
the shit in the jacket that you can step on probably. :)
like this. I have terminated fiber, and polished the end, and tested, until passing, but I forgot everything about the naming conventions of shit.