Enough Lens/Camera for LPR?

TheWaterbug

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
My neighborhood has a single entrance/exit that every car must pass through, so it's a natural place for an LPR camera. The HOA has been dragging its feet for years, but the new owner of the house closest to the intersection is game to work with me on this. She has a big tree that might be a good mounting point, so I dragged my inverter, my POE switch, an ancient IPC-HFW4431R-Z, and my laptop and parked my car right next to the tree. I fired everything up, opened the sunroof, put the camera on the roof of my car. That's not exactly where a camera would be mounted on the tree, but it's not too far off either. A camera might be mounted 6' to the right and maybe 4-5' higher. Boresight distance to the intersection is ~80':

1713742627553.png

She has budget to buy a new camera and whatever else is needed to make this work, so today with the IPC-HFW4431R-Z is just a proof-of-concept test to see how much FOV we need at this intersection.

Is this much camera/lens going to work for LPR?

The IPC-HFW4431R-Z has a 2.7-12mm lens on a 1/3” 2MP sensor. How does that FOV compare to that of the 8mm–32mm on 1/1.8" 4MP sensor of the EmpireTech IPC-B54IR-Z4E-S3?

Can I catch the comings and goings on one camera? Or will we need one for each? Plus one for the overview, of course.

Thanks!

TheWaterbug

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I dragged my inverter, my POE switch, an ancient IPC-HFW4431R-Z, and my laptop and parked my car right next to the tree. I fired everything up, opened the sunroof, put the camera on the roof of my car.
I did get some very strange looks from our other neighbors as they drove by :rofl:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Good news is you have a number of options.

Going with a 2.8-12mm lens you may pick up a good portion of the inbound front plates, But nighttime will be tougher needing reflected IR across a wider area to get that. Im also guessing becasue of the tree shadows, you'll see various differences in capture at various points. I have a similar issue on one location.

My gut says go with the B54IR-Z4E-S3, prioritize outbound rear plates and if you happen to get some inbound great.