English vs American

badmannen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No, the hacked cameras are fine, if they stay hacked. As long as the hacked firmware is not overwritten by an upgrade using the native, non-hacked firmware.
That gave me some hope again.

And just to add to the confusion. If I update my China cam with newer hacked firmware that should be fine? (yes. Pointless if it works good I know)

xcr400

n3wb
Reaction score
Just looking for a bit of reassurance I have 3 Chinese Hikvision ip cameras hacked to English.
Two at 3mp and 1 bullet at 4mp all work well on computer after configuring with sadp tool.
Would like to run these on DS7604Ni-Ei/4p full UK supplied NVR am I likely to encounter any problems?
There seems to be different opinions on this thread?

badmannen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
took the risk now . ordered chinese hacked cams and "original" english NVR ... let´s see if it works out =D

Jack B Nimble

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Bold but from all I read you will be fine. The only potential issue is future update with English version the Corp giants could kill the china cams. But not sure if they really care that much as in the end its all about sales so why would they. They can pretend to protect thier u.s distribution channel but in terms of world market it's peanuts.

badmannen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Bold but from all I read you will be fine. The only potential issue is future update with English version the Corp giants could kill the china cams. But not sure if they really care that much as in the end its all about sales so why would they. They can pretend to protect thier u.s distribution channel but in terms of world market it's peanuts.
My hope is that they don't do that until I get h . 265 to work. Then I don't care about it for a while and just don't do any updates so I'm fine

Sent from my ONE E1003 using Tapatalk

Jack B Nimble

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Which one did you buy? I am tempted as the time I update everything bi3 up etc etc dollar wise I may be better off. Although loved the blue iris all the years I have had it. My old pc 2.3 quad core still runs 7 cameras all 3Mp hiKS at 60 percent. No plans to wait for bi to use an actual video card.

badmannen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I got a camera 3MP version and buying the 4 mp version : DS-2CD3T45-I5 , works really good outdoors, good night and day picture.
and going cheap for the NVR: NVR DS-7604NI-E1/4P , a bit of damagecontrol if it goes south =D. plus the price is just really good and do not need more than 4 cameras. if I will need more in the future Ill just buy another one and have a 2 NVR setup which seems more failsafe anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:

CoreyX64

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Is it confirmed that 3.4.2 will not have issues with hacked cams? i thought someone said that even in ONVIF profile those will have issues
3.4.0 was the version that axed the ONVIF workaround, not 3.4.2.

The people having issues with regional restrictions are people who:

A) purchased CH-region devices un-patched. Anymore you really have to TRY to do this as every one comes patched now. The Chinese have caught up in the cat mouse region game to where even if you blind sighted yourself to all of the regional restrictions and documentation on here, and picked up a CH device, it would work out of the box almost guaranteed.

B) tamper with the camera firmware. If it works, set it up, configure it, and leave it alone. There is little to no reason you should ever have to dial into the camera directly on a pure Hikvision setup. All of the important things are set in the NVR itself. If it's not broke, don't fix it.

C) update the firmware. This is technically a derivative of B but people get this idea that newer firmware is better. Hikvision in the past has proven this wrong on a few different occasions. If it works, leave it alone. And this is coming from a guy who is die hard bleeding edge. I update things ASAP whenever possible. (bad habit, bad practice, but I know how to dig myself out of a hole if that habit comes back to bite) However the cameras are too tedious for me to work with or care, so I let them go. The NVR on the other hand, you want that to be as current as possible as they do add features and fix bugs, and you'll only ever interface with the NVR directly, not the cameras.

As @alastairstevenson said, if you were to purchase an "English" or "multilanguage" device, it's most likely a Chinese-region device and has had its internal region flag pre-patched. This means it will work with a US/Western-region NVR. I can confirm this personally. All of my jobs/projects involve Chinese cams with US NVRs. All of said NVRs are currently running 3.4.2, and the cams firmware vary from 5.2.0 to 5.3.8, 3MP and 4MP, all work great, full English language on everything, using the original Hikvision protocol, not ONVIF or any other silly workarounds.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jack B Nimble

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks, not seeing h264. I run 8 cams going to 12 so frames per second bit tight at 60. But let me know how things work out for you and good luck.

CoreyX64

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Does that NVR run h264 ? 4mp
7600s default to H.264, as of 3.4.0 firmware they *allegedly* gained H.265 support yet no one (myself included) seems to have been able to get them to work, whether Hikvision H.265 cams or 3rd party.

CoreyX64

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
couldn´t agree more there brother. The way they are reacting to this "problem" is completely backwards. ( yes I know it doesnt help me or anyone that we complain on a forum on the internets =D ) ....

But the thing is I would not be paying for HIK´s relatively low quality hardware and the software is just horrendous compare to what one should expect. It´s 2016, people expect more and not settle for less ( seems like there are strangely enough alot of people that buy it with full price since the company is so big....)

rant over.
Their hardware isn't all that terrible I don't think (there are some areas that could definitely be improved though), but the real sour spot is in their firmware, and I'm not even referring to their region locks. It's just so poorly written overall. The GUI needs a lot of work (although the newer firmwares that are themed red/gray are actually quite decent to work with, by comparison), and their whole linux environment underneath is just clunky, not to mention some of the poor english translations. Dahua's firmware (newer ones using Web Service 3.0, 2.0 was a joke and required ActiveX) I think is more well rounded coding wise. I don't like the fact that 95% of Dahua products in the US are rebranded, but hey, they speak English. Who am I to complain. Their NVR interfaces are weird though - I never really got a liking for them, so went the Hikvision route which I think is a little better when working with the NVR directly, but to each their own.

As far as the regional restrictions are concerned, that was a purely marketing-based decision. Everyone on here knows there is absolutely no technical reason for that. Resellers and possibly Hikvision themselves didn't want their bottom line hurt, so this was their approach to fixing the problem. Denying support I can completely understand and agree with. A lot of businesses actually only support products through the sales channel they were delivered through. If you deviate from it, no support. Crippling an otherwise usable piece of hardware? That enters into ethics territory a bit and I do not agree with it at all.

badmannen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
no I must agree that the hardware actually is ok, just got annoyed that one of mine : [h=1]DS-2CD2042WD-I 4MP IR Bullet[/h]stopped working. I think because it didnt stand the weather in Sweden where it´s located. but I will try to bring it back from the dead in a week when I get the chance =D .
The other camera handles the weather perfect and I´m amazed how clean the lens stays, had it running now for about 5 month without cleaning it during winter with snow , wind clod, warm and rain ... and sun. yes sometimes we get 5 minutes of sunshine =)

Software, yes I still thinks it´s terrible, some settings located in very strange positions and needs to be set in certain order to work.

One thing I would like is to be able to save images via SSH or similar and not only FTP which is the only way I found so far. I save the movie file locally on atm on a pc nvr. and every 5 seconds on motion trigger it sends a picture to an off-location ftp server... The problem is the ftp server is huge secuirity hole in that remote server. so would prefer SSH or any other solution. Any tips on this topic ?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
point to point vpn link to offsite ftp, thats really only way to secure it.

badmannen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
can i set it up in the nvr? ( I´m very ignorant about the NVR functions since I never had one yet )

CoreyX64

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
nope...need a VPN capable router of doing IPSec, then one on whatever remote site you plan to dump images to. It's a site to site bridge so anything pertaining to the NVR never directly sees the Internet, hence better security. Yet on both sides of the bridge, the NVR is treated as local traffic and can be accessed using its local address, not the WAN address.

The less you have WAN-facing, the better. Let the VPN server do all of the sifting, then keep all of the sensitive stuff internal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
no that'll have to be entirely external.. need to bridge the 2 networks so the remote FTP appears like a local FTP and all traffic is automatically encrypted.

badmannen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
alright I can do that setup so it´s perfect, thank alot