Empire tech ptz recommend cameras

NoDak

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am looking for some recommendations for ptz camera that empire tech andy sells. I looked on his amazon store and found the following and based on what I can find which would be the best starter ptz.

Loryta sd-49225xa-hnr
Loryta sd-49425xb-hnr
Loryta sd-29204ue-gn

I am leaving towards the 49225xa since I will have 2 x 5k floodlights (2 led light bulbs each) being mounted above the camera spots to provide lighting during the night onto the parking pad and shine part of the yard that is adjacent to the parking pad. These floodlights will be on from dusk to dawn.

Or is there a better maybe higher than 2mp ptz that would be better suited.

I don't need LPR and just concerned with my immediate front parking pad\yard area.

I have a 3 car wide parking pad that is about 1.5 cars deep. I would mount 1 ptz on the left\right edge of the parking pad. Front door is covered by another camera that has 2way audio and floodlight.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The 49225 and 49425 from Andy come with autotracking, so if you want a PTZ that will follow people around, those two would be the choice.

Between those two, I would lean towards the 49225 as the 49425 is on the same sensor, so it would need double the light.

Now the 49225 starts with a larger focal length (almost 5mm), so the shot isn't as wide to start with as the 2.7mm starting point of the 29204ue. Depending on the angle and placement, you might not get the whole pad in on one shot.

As much as I love the 49225, that area you are trying to cover is pretty small for the powerful zoom of the 49225 - it shows it's strength on distance.

The 29204 is basically like a varifocal that is PTZ - do you have any of the other varifocal turrets that you could bench test where you plan to install this PTZ and see if that zoom amount meets your needs?

NoDak

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The 49225 and 49425 from Andy come with autotracking, so if you want a PTZ that will follow people around, those two would be the choice.

Between those two, I would lean towards the 49225 as the 49425 is on the same sensor, so it would need double the light.

Now the 49225 starts with a larger focal length (almost 5mm), so the shot isn't as wide to start with as the 2.7mm starting point of the 29204ue. Depending on the angle and placement, you might not get the whole pad in on one shot.

As much as I love the 49225, that area you are trying to cover is pretty small for the powerful zoom of the 49225 - it shows it's strength on distance.

The 29204 is basically like a varifocal that is PTZ - do you have any of the other varifocal turrets that you could bench test where you plan to install this PTZ and see if that zoom amount meets your needs?
I currently have 2 x T5442T-ze in the current location that I intend to install the ptz. Not really sure if I will go the ptz route but I am having an issue with getting the t5442t-ze to cover the parking pad correctly. Not sure if it's the mount that I am using (wall mount) instead of the top down wall mount. Now that I've had the 2 x t5442t-ze in place for a few weeks, I was thinking of getting some ptz to have a slightly better view of the front of the house areas that I can cover with a ptz that my fixed ones currently. Right now I don't do any zoom since I'm not going out father than my parking pad.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I currently have 2 x T5442T-ze in the current location that I intend to install the ptz. Not really sure if I will go the ptz route but I am having an issue with getting the t5442t-ze to cover the parking pad correctly. Not sure if it's the mount that I am using (wall mount) instead of the top down wall mount. Now that I've had the 2 x t5442t-ze in place for a few weeks, I was thinking of getting some ptz to have a slightly better view of the front of the house areas that I can cover with a ptz that my fixed ones currently. Right now I don't do any zoom since I'm not going out father than my parking pad.
Dont make the mistake of trying to cover too much area with one particular camera.

NoDak

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Dont make the mistake of trying to cover too much area with one particular camera.
I guess I should clarify, the way they are mounted I can't position the t5442t-ze to were I want them to look since I run into physical limitation of the eyeball housing.

The base of the housing is mounted to a vertical wall instead of mounted to a a horizontal plane, ie: like if you mounted it to a roof eave

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
But the turret rotates and you should be able to get it in any direction you need and the only obstacle being something physical in the way of where you are trying to aim.

NoDak

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
But the turret rotates and you should be able to get it in any direction you need and the only obstacle being something physical in the way of where you are trying to aim.
I think I just have the wrong mount for the t5442t-ze, I am using the pfa130-e on a vertical wall instead of a pfb203w.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The mount doesn't matter. You need to rotate the "opening" to the direction you want the camera pointed.

Whether it is mounted vertical or horizontal, you can get it to look the way you want it to. I have them mounted both ways depending on which was easier to install and can point them where I need them.

1625680734234.png

NoDak

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The mount doesn't matter. You need to rotate the "opening" to the direction you want the camera pointed.

Whether it is mounted vertical or horizontal, you can get it to look the way you want it to. I have them mounted both ways depending on which was easier to install and can point them where I need them.

View attachment 94592
For some of reason i can't get it to position correctly. Maybe I have to loosen something cause to adjust the housing is very tight

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
You need to loosen the torx screw that secures the housing to the base enough to rotate it easily. That can be a little tricky at times. I've found a few that have to be loose enough to remove the housing before it turns easily, but it's still more than doable. I've got three turrets mounted to vertical walls and haven't had any problem getting them pointed where I want them, other than the balancing act of holding a cell phone and working with the camera while standing on a ladder.

NoDak

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well I have the new mounts coming Friday anyway so I will try that. I will have to take a pic to show how this mount is causing me to hit the housing limits

Last edited:

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
It's not in the "mount". The mount is just a junction box. The ball of the camera rotates in in the housing of the camera itself. You have to ease off the screw as though you were going to take the ball out of the housing. As you ease off it should become rotatable. If not, ease off some more. Even if you go too far, unlikely, the ball can't go anywhere, it has the cable going into it throgh the back of the housing and so if connected will in the worst case senario just dangle. JUst don't lose the screw. If you're worried, easiest way might be to disconnect the camera, bring it down to ground, ease the screw so it rotates, take it back up and reconnect it, then roatate it and nip it up. That saves all the messing around at height. Albeit I would comment that unless it's an over view camera, height should be around 7 feet anyway. If you're 6ft thats a foot to fall!

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Sometimes the cable gets bound up on the tabs that ride along the back of the camera body. Loosen it and take the turret off, make sure the cable is not hung up. Not much cable can fit back there.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

NoDak

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It's not in the "mount". The mount is just a junction box. The ball of the camera rotates in in the housing of the camera itself. You have to ease off the screw as though you were going to take the ball out of the housing. As you ease off it should become rotatable. If not, ease off some more. Even if you go too far, unlikely, the ball can't go anywhere, it has the cable going into it throgh the back of the housing and so if connected will in the worst case senario just dangle. JUst don't lose the screw. If you're worried, easiest way might be to disconnect the camera, bring it down to ground, ease the screw so it rotates, take it back up and reconnect it, then roatate it and nip it up. That saves all the messing around at height. Albeit I would comment that unless it's an over view camera, height should be around 7 feet anyway. If you're 6ft thats a foot to fall!
actually the problem i was having is that since the mount is attached to a junction box, if i tried to adjust the housing on the X axis the eyeball would hit the housing. since it was mounted on a junction box to a vertical wall it would only rotate 360 on the Y axis. i couldnt move the eyeball past the 79 degree limit on the X axis to cover the driveway correctly.

now that i have proper wall mount, i can adjust on the X axis 360 degress and adjust the eyeball on the Y axis properly.

Sometimes the cable gets bound up on the tabs that ride along the back of the camera body. Loosen it and take the turret off, make sure the cable is not hung up. Not much cable can fit back there.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
yeah i checked that first, and it wasnt an issue.

NoDak

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
give you an idea, i tried to rotate the bottom opening to a SW/SE orientation and i was still having an issue of hitting the housing regardless. the highlight in yellow is what the issue was.

resized_vertical junction box.jpg

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As we've suggested, all you have to do is rotate the shroud, pointing the cutout area of the shroud to the area you want the camera pointed.
Pretend the board in the pic is a horizontal wall.
I can rotate the lens direction 360 degrees, by rotating the shroud along with the camera.
PXL_20210711_173711600.jpgPXL_20210711_173704877.jpgPXL_20210711_173627215.jpgPXL_20210711_173648825.jpg

NoDak

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
As we've suggested, all you have to do is rotate the shroud, pointing the cutout area of the shroud to the area you want the camera pointed.
Pretend the board in the pic is a horizontal wall.
I can rotate the lens direction 360 degrees, by rotating the shroud along with the camera.
View attachment 94932View attachment 94933View attachment 94934View attachment 94935
That is fine if I don't want a level view of the driveway. Either way it's done with the new mounts.

NoDak

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You are overthinking it. It's a ball, it can be rotated 360 degrees.
View attachment 95196
Now try to adjust it downward from that position so it looks at a driveway level with the ground plane. Also remember you can only mirror the image. The camera doesnt have the ability to rotate the image 90 degree