Emergency Power/Storms/Prepping etc

I don't think it does THD but I will check, I think if it did I would have added it in

I don't run it on the Blue Iris machine, but I actually have a post on the full setup here

Got a closet in the center of the house as my small "Server room"

View attachment 197854

That much heat load 24x7x365 in your house... I'd close the a/c vent and ventilate via a cheaper method. Wintertime... harvest that lost heat by opening ceiling vent again.

Keeps getting closer and closer...

1720227929381.png

We're actually in the cone now

1720275471522.png

Fingers crossed! its been SO DRY!

GFS has us way off to the side, but the Euro model has us being hit pretty hard

1720302073217.png

It’s just going to be a rain maker for you but slightly less on the eastern side.

Hoping for at least a short power outage...

Last edited:
Latest Euro that just dropped

1720316673891.png

Hurricane Cats

1720389706666.jpeg

Well, the storm hasn't hit yet and my preps are coming in handy! My AT&T Fiber just went down! lived here 5 years and its been up the entire time, luckily I have Verizon 5G Home Internet as backup, have it setup in PFSENSE to switchover instantly, so I never noticed anything happened apart from getting the alert email (Ignore the higher latency of the 5G connection, its actually around 20ms, but the monitor IP I'm using is much higher latency)

1720411673354.png

Powers out, on generator power

Where are you? The north side?

Reactions: looney2ns
Well, the storm hasn't hit yet and my preps are coming in handy! My AT&T Fiber just went down! lived here 5 years and its been up the entire time, luckily I have Verizon 5G Home Internet as backup, have it setup in PFSENSE to switchover instantly, so I never noticed anything happened apart from getting the alert email (Ignore the higher latency of the 5G connection, its actually around 20ms, but the monitor IP I'm using is much higher latency)

Love the failover setup, definitely came in handy. What sort of hardware are you running the PFSENSE on? Any thoughts on PFSENSE vs OPNSENSE?

View attachment 198002
I do similar but use Peplink routers that can have cellular sims inserted. So when my Xfinity goes down, it switches over to my TMobile $15/month hotspot plan I keep active just for this purpose. It’s nice never loosing internet!

Reactions: mat200

View attachment 198002

I ran pfsense for years with a 2x fiber and 1x cable feed. Finally threw in the towel due to email alerts not going out. Apparently, they are tied to the primary connection/gateway... if it failed, no emails. If secondary/tertiary failed, I would get emails. pfsense confirmed this was a bug.... but it went unfixed for at least 3 years. It would send emails when primary came back up... but not down.

running sonicwall 2650 now.

Reactions: mat200
Where are you? The north side?

Southwest Houston

Current situation:

• Power out since yesterday at 3am~
  • Fiber out since yesterday at 11pm (Unrelated to storm, I suppose)
  • Fence panels down on 3 sides
  • Plumcot tree fallen over
  • Loquat tree fallen over
  • Olive Tree fallen over
  • Limbs EVERYWHERE

Water was creeping up the street but draining, now the rain has let up it all drained out

Wind is still really bad

• Fiber out since yesterday at 11pm (Unrelated to storm, I suppose)
  • ...Limbs EVERYWHERE

I remember katrina... att had equipment for the entire right side of the US located in NOLA. It shutdown tons of stuff.

Careful w/ the cleanup. Nails and sharp pointy things are everywhere and hospitals are under duress... not a good time to get injured.

Front is a little better, now to stand up the fruit trees and fences

1720472957294.jpeg

1720472975330.jpeg

1720472986755.jpeg

1720473059492.jpeg

1720473073234.jpeg

1720473081669.jpeg