Email text alerts setup works but actual alerts does not

jkelley

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello everyone - you all were super helpful for my last issue about a month ago and my system is working quite well now. Thanks!

I've searched around but my problem seems to be slightly different than others. My issue is that I'm able to successfully setup email and send a test email that comes through virtually instantly, but when I setup a camera to do email notifications via alert, nothing happens - I even did not receive anything overnight (there were some threads in my searching explaining a several hour delay).

Before I try Pushover (another resounding option) I'd like to see if I could get this to work instead, given that the test emails are coming through just fine.

Any hints or tips? I'm on BI 5. Thanks!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
From the help pdf...
Note that when testing, the action set runs in the console UI process. If you are running Blue
Iris as a service in the background, “real” action sets run in the service process, and this can
create discrepancies in what you experience

So this could be what is happening to you, although we usually do not see it for email issues.

So look in your BI log overnight and confirm that a camera triggered and that it shows it sent an email in the log.

Then go to the email you have set up in BI to send the messages OUT from (which may or may not be the same as the email you are trying to SEND to) and look in the sent folder and see if the emails are there but you are not receiving them.

If that is the case, then it is a spam algorithm issue with your email provider.

Some of these email algorithms are able to see that the TEST you did was generated by a human pushing a button to send it whereas it can tell that an email generated from a trigger was computer generated.

Or it could be you have too many alerts set up and BI floods the email with too many emails at the same time or close enough that it thinks it is a BOT.

jkelley

n3wb
Reaction score
From the help pdf...
Note that when testing, the action set runs in the console UI process. If you are running Blue
Iris as a service in the background, “real” action sets run in the service process, and this can
create discrepancies in what you experience

So this could be what is happening to you, although we usually do not see it for email issues.

So look in your BI log overnight and confirm that a camera triggered and that it shows it sent an email in the log.

Then go to the email you have set up in BI to send the messages OUT from (which may or may not be the same as the email you are trying to SEND to) and look in the sent folder and see if the emails are there but you are not receiving them.

If that is the case, then it is a spam algorithm issue with your email provider.

Some of these email algorithms are able to see that the TEST you did was generated by a human pushing a button to send it whereas it can tell that an email generated from a trigger was computer generated.

Or it could be you have too many alerts set up and BI floods the email with too many emails at the same time or close enough that it thinks it is a BOT.
Very interesting and helpful, thank you! I will check tonight.