Email problems with NVR

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm using the NVR:
Hikvision DS-7604NI-SE/P
Firmware SW- V3.0.15_150528

I'm having troubles with the configuration of email alerts.
It seems the use of my gmail account is being refused. Setting the right parameters, such as SSL (on 465 or 587) only works on my Desktop (Windows), but no result on the NVR.

Any idea's?

Valiant

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I too had Gmail setup problems on other equipment. I resolved it by enabling 2 factor authentication on the Gmail account and adding a unique 'APP' password.

I used the unique password on the individual device.

John Williamson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I had similar issues with the SMTP test failing recently on one of my customers NVRs (7604E1/P) Despite the sending account, SMTP server address and port being identical to other sites the SMTP test would fail. The issue turned out to be DNS related - forcing the DNS to 8.8.8.8 rather than allowing the router to resolve it sorted thing out.

Reaction score
I too had Gmail setup problems on other equipment. I resolved it by enabling 2 factor authentication on the Gmail account and adding a unique 'APP' password.

I used the unique password on the individual device.
Thanks for you reply, but this method doesn't seem to work for me.
I tried (twice) to generate an APP-password and entered it in the email settings. Both passwords failed, the device keeps mentioning to check parameters and email settings.

The problem might be firmware-related?

Reaction score
I had similar issues with the SMTP test failing recently on one of my customers NVRs (7604E1/P) Despite the sending account, SMTP server address and port being identical to other sites the SMTP test would fail. The issue turned out to be DNS related - forcing the DNS to 8.8.8.8 rather than allowing the router to resolve it sorted thing out.
Hi, I would like to know more about this solution. I don't understand the DNS issue.
Or do you mean you were not able to solve the probem?

John Williamson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi, I would like to know more about this solution. I don't understand the DNS issue.
Or do you mean you were not able to solve the probem?
Altering the DNS server address in the network settings of the NVR is all that was needed to get the e mail working for me. All e mail settings - SMTP server address, port (587), username and password were correct but it wouldn’t work. Setting the DNS server address manually to 8.8.8.8 in the NVR network settings fixed it. If yours is currently set to automatic - it will use the gateway address (192.168.0.1 in my case)

John Williamson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
When you say “it keeps saying the settings are incorrect” where is that message being displayed? Are you trying to set up the NVR using the web interface? If so it could simply be an issue with the web components plugin or the browser you are using. Try setting it up using the menu GUI on a monitor directly connected to the video output of the NVR if possible as this will prove whether there’s an issue with the settings you’ve entered or not.

Regarding the firmware. Although that model is obsolete there is one firmware revision newer than yours - 3.0.22.

Reaction score
When you say “it keeps saying the settings are incorrect” where is that message being displayed? Are you trying to set up the NVR using the web interface? If so it could simply be an issue with the web components plugin or the browser you are using. Try setting it up using the menu GUI on a monitor directly connected to the video output of the NVR if possible as this will prove whether there’s an issue with the settings you’ve entered or not.

Regarding the firmware. Although that model is obsolete there is one firmware revision newer than yours - 3.0.22.
Thanks,
I already have a monitor connected to the NVR. But even in this case the message is being displayed.
I will first try to update the firnware, and take it up from there.

Reaction score
So...... I've upgraded the firmware to SW- 3.0.22.
So far, so good.

The issue with email still exists.
I have filtered the problem to:

On my @GMAIL.COM account the NVR only allows SSL for email decoding. GMAIL requires SSL on port 465.
On my web interface (iVMS 4200) the settings won't work, neither on the NVR (via GUI).
In my @GMAIL.COM account I have 2-ways verification active, and also tried using an specialy generated APP-password. This also failed (on SSL with port 465 / 587)
Downgrading by de-activating 2-ways verification in GOOGLE is not an option for me.

On my @ZIGGO.NL account the NVR only allows SSL for email decoding. ZIGGO requires STARTTLS on port 587.
On my web interface (iVMS 4200) the setting STARTTLS is possible and it works (local setting).
However the web interface's option 'Remote Configuration' doesn't support STARTTLS (SSL only), so by performing a test in this case it also failed.

My prefered account for using with the NVR is @ZIGGO.NL
It seems adding 'STARTTLS' as email decoding option to the NVR might solve the problem, but how it's done?

John Williamson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Strange. I use smtp.gmail.com with SSL enabled and port 587 with no issues.

You still haven’t mentioned what your DNS address is set at in the network settings.

John Williamson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I would use 8.8.8.8 as the primary DNS. It’s quite possible that your issue is that the NVR cannot resolve your SMTP server address into an IP. Or you could set the DNS address to match your router gateway address - 192.168.178.1 and let the router forward the DNS as required. Forcing it to 8.8.8.8 (Google’s DNS) would be the best option.

Reaction score
Changed DNS 1 into 8.8.8.8 on the GUI

Tried smtp.gmail.com with SSL enabled on port 587 and on 465
No success

Then tried smtp.ziggo.nl with SSL enabled on port 587 and on 465
No success

Finaly changed DNS 2 into 8.8.8.8 also.
No success.......

John Williamson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It tries the DNS in order. So 8.8.8.8 for DNS1 8.8.4.4 for DNS2. I think at this point if it still didn’t work I’d be replacing the NVR with a laptop, putting the same network settings in on it and trying a few things there to diagnose it. For instance can you ping the SMTP server address or does it fail to resolve it to an IP. If it fails can you ping the DNS server etc, etc.

zsoldo

n3wb
Reaction score
I had problems also with google smtp on HIKVISION, then discovered that it is a problem with less secure apps in Google. Google doesn't allow usage of email on HIkvision.