Email Alerts Have Stopped

Cookie Monster

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi, I hope you can help. I have a Dahua IPC-HDW5231ZE. Not sure if that model is completely correct, but it's a 2MP Starlight model. I noticed earlier today, that I was not getting email alerts when the mailman came or any other visitor to the door. I checked the email SMTP settings and everything looked fine. Hit 'test' and it returned 'Fail'. (I wish it would say exactly what part of the process failed!).

So I re-booted the camera, tried test again and it was successful. However, I was still not getting alerts, tried test again and it failed. I kept repeating this process of re-booting, getting success in the test and then shortly after it failed again. However, now when I have re-booted, it fails straight away.

Incidentally, I have the same model of camera at the rear of my house, but this normally only captures squirrels and pigeons. I have just checked this one and tested the email connection and that has also failed.

None of my settings have changed. Does anyone have any idea what is going onand how I can remedy this situation?

Thanks for your help.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
What email ( hotmail, gmail etc,,) are you using to send from.... and what email site is receiving?
My hotmail account "sent folder" got full, and i wasn't getting email alerts.
or if my receiver account is full( Gmail -15GB) I wont get alerts as well.

Cookie Monster

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I receive my emails on my gmail account. However, I have only used 5GB of my allocated 15GB. I use my ISP's email service as the sender via their SMTP server and up until today, everything was working fine. I don't ever check their webmail portal. I wonder if my sent folder is completely full?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Either the sent folder is full, but could also be a provider updated their filters and now it will not accept email from a non-secure system. You may have to disable an authentication factor in one or both ends of the email system.

Or worse case is because your camera is accessible to the internet, that someone is using it for a bot attack and your ISP shut down emails from the device.

Cookie Monster

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have been attempting to get emails alerts working again but without success. The emails were being sent via my ISP's smtp server and until yesterday I had not had any problems at all. I logged in to their webmail portal, and there was nothing to suggest anything was blocked. All folders were pretty much empty. I sent a test email direct from ther webmail to my gmail account and it was sent and received without issue. Yet my camera fails every time.

I have also done similar using Yahoo and Gmail smtp servers and again they all fail when I test within the camera. But I can send emails direct from both web portals to my gmail account.

I really do not know what else to do except a factory reset of the camera. FYI, I do not have my camera open to the internet and do not view it remotely. Does anyone have any suggestions of anything to try as I am slowly tearing what little hair out that I have left.

Thanks.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It sounds like your ISP recently updated their filter and is blocking an automated email coming out of your camera as it is clear it is not being sent by a person...

Most of us here do not use the email option out of the camera as it is giving it internet access.

Cookie Monster

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. How else could I get alerts for a triggered event. My camera records everything to my Synloogy NAS using Surveillance Station. Could that be set up to send me alerts. If not, what other method could I use.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes you can use that to send alerts.

I do not have that, I use Blue Iris.

But I suspect that your ISP sees that the camera wasn't updated recently (not your fault they are rarely updated) and recognizes it as a security risk.